Bullets for 300 Ultra Mag

Depends on where you are hunting. I have to agree with Fiftydriver, go with the partitions. Around here(close to Butte) and on the Big Hole, the Elk head for the timber on opening day. Down in the Rubys, some open country shots do present themselves, but mostly on cows,calves, hefers and once and a while a raghead or spike. 30 cal. Partitions have a decent ballistic number to do well at long shots,and they are the cats meow for close-in shots, which happens more often.
Chill out, you have six weeks before the festivites begin. Try as many factory loads that you can afford to see which one shoots best. If you work hard, you have time to work up a hand load using Accubonds, which would be my first choice! Either way, get a good zero on sight-in, and good luck in November!
wink.gif

Kirby,..once again a very level headed recommendation on your part. I am one of those guys who LOVES to burn powder,..
grin.gif
and I will be taking the 150gr NBT factory ammo in a 7mm mag to Wyoming in a few weeks for mulies and antelope because that **** ammo shoots so friggin well out of my sendero,..I just can't see sighting in with a handload and then taking it to another part of the country (wind, air density etc). As much as I love my handloads,..this being my first "out west" experience,..I'll go with the time proven factory fodder this time,..handloads next time,..if the "social director" will allow another trip out there
shocked.gif

Like I said,..Fiftydriver makes a good point.

Kirby,..once again a very level headed recommendation on your part. I am one of those guys who LOVES to burn powder,..
grin.gif
and I will be taking the 150gr NBT factory ammo in a 7mm mag to Wyoming in a few weeks for mulies and antelope because that **** ammo shoots so friggin well out of my sendero,..I just can't see sighting in with a handload and then taking it to another part of the country (wind, air density etc). As much as I love my handloads,..this being my first "out west" experience,..I'll go with the time proven factory fodder this time,..handloads next time,..if the "social director" will allow another trip out there
shocked.gif

Like I said,..Fiftydriver makes a good point for factory ammo,..especially if time is of the ecessance (sp)

I don't think the hunter who started this string hand loads.Unless some factorey started loading Accubonds,he is limited at to what to shoot.I'm going Black bear hunting Oct 1st My load is 95grs of Retumbo behind a 200gr Accubond,with a measured Velocity of 3,125.Thats got to be good enough! What was the Muzzel Velocity of Daniel Boons musket?

Blaser had a hot topic!
Thankyou everyone for the great advise,
I should change my name to last minute.
Just got the 300RUM 700 finished sat.
Shot all day sun(today)testing, and just finished loading up Retumbo, 94gr. GM215M,
200 accubonds, consist .75 groups 100yrds.
Now my shoulder hurts, I can't sleep because I leave for openning Elk season in six hours.
Blaser, if you have a friend who loads try out the accubonds, best of luck!
I wish everyone the best the season.
Scout

Just finished load development for my up and coming bear hunt.95.5 Retumbo 200gr Nosler Accubonds.Average MV is 3,125.Also just installed a Rifle Bacix trigger hopefully it will be better that stock remington.My Current Gunsmith did'nt want take adjust the Rem trigger.This a recent model of Rem 700 said they[Rem have made changes to thier trigger that made itr hard to adjust them down ,is This true or was he trying to soak me?
confused.gif

I replace the trigger spring in the factory trigger, works like a champ.

You ought to see what the 200gr Accubonds out of a .300ultra will do to an elks spine
grin.gif
shocked.gif

[ 09-17-2004: Message edited by: AJ300MAG ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.