Bullets for 300 Ultra Mag

Blaser,

First off welcome to the board.

What are your plans for the 300 RUM. What do you want to do with it?

Long range target?

Long range hunting?

Need a little information as there is no perfect bullet to cover all uses.

Let us know what you want to do with your 300 RUM and we will give you our opinion from our experiences.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I am going elk hunting in Montana in November and I am looking for a nice shooting round. 180 gr. I heard from 2 different people that the Remington Scirocco are all over the paper. And I dont have time to do reloads. Help me out.

Well since your limited to factory ammo you don't have alot of choices either 180 or 150 gr. Might want to try the Rem with their bullet instead of the Swift. I was kind of like you but just decided to work up some loads in fact started this past Fri. Well good luck.

blaser,
I did a lot of load developement last year
on a 300 RUM, the sciroccos work fine but
you must weigh them they can vary a couple
of gr. I tried the 200gr. accubonds and they
just dont group. the 180 accubonds are out
will be trying them out on wed.

Blaser, Remington is loading 200gr Nosler Partitions. Partitions are tuff bullets and at 3100fps it will be flat and hard hitting. Perfect for elk at 200 to 300 yards. Happy Hunting.
wink.gif

I would shoot the Nosler Partitions in a 180 gr but Remington does not make them anymore. I will try the Federals out and see what happens. Thanks

in a pair of PacNor tubes,.we ahve gotten EVERYTHING under .5moa!!! scirroccco's,..Matchkings,..Bergers,..accubonds,...SST's,..a-max's ect.

For elk,...I would be shooting the accubond but fiftydriver is a gunsmith,...so his advice is to be taken seriously. The partition is a good large game pill,..but I like polymer tipped pills so I am somewhat biased in my reccomendations.
wink.gif

Did a bunch of testing today with accubond's
scirroco's interbonds in .30 cal.and in .284.
in ballistic matter penetration test's they
all faired quite well compared to standard
bullet's, as far as accuracy the accubond's
shot better than weighed scirrocco's by a
slim margin. in .284 the 154gr.interbond
shot worse groups than any bullet I have
ever tested save a sawed off shotgun

JustC,

you are not wrong in your opinion about the Accubonds, I personally love them. The only reason I stated to get a box of the factory loded partitions is because he is up against the wall time wise and generally the partitions shoot very well and will always give solid performance on game the size of elk.

I have tested the Accubond in several of the custom rifles I have built for customers over the last while and they have all shot extremely well and are producing great velocity with normal copper fouling compared to the Ballistic Tips.

I would have no problem at all pointing a 200 gr Accubond at the shoulder of a 900 lb bull elk out of my 300 RUM loaded to 3200 fps.

I simply recommended the Partition factory load because it is one of those given bullets that supplies the on game performance needed for elk as well as is generally a good shooting bullet.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hey guys, it rained all day in upstate NY, and did not get out, plus work is killing also. Also i hear you guys tell me to try Accubonds, who make this? I feel like i should know this, just have no time and just to shoot i am going during work. I ask someone today and they said just start shooting, different guns shoot, bullets different ways. i will shoot Friday, the sun is going to be out. e you guys on saturday. running out of time.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.