Bullet will not reach the Lands (257 WBY)

Archery1973

I have a brand new Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 257 WBY.

I want to use Nosler brass and Berger VLD bullets.

My father in law went to measure the bullet length off the case. It won't come anywhere near the lands.

I try to shoot different loads with varying lengths from the lands. It's worked well in the past.

Any ideas? Would you be concerned?

No real concern here.

Weatherby's are known for lots of freebore.

You just have to work up your load, part of which includes powder charge and the other part is seating depth.

I'd probably start somewhere within my magazine length with the bullet shank about even with the neck/shoulder junction. Then, work up a ladder test from near min to max watching for pressure signs.

Within the ladder test, look for a node as described in many threads in these forums.

Finally, tune the seating depth for best accuracy.

If it doesn't get along with the VLDs, there are a few other 25 cal bullets to consider.

-- richard

Weatherby chambers are cut with more free bore than typical chambers, supposedly to keep the pressures down. I have the .257 and the .270 WBMs and the bullets I load shoot well without touching the lands.

"It won't come anywhere near the lands."

It will when you pull the trigger; don't worry about it.
LMAO

for sure the best answer for that question in a while.
I've seen 1/2" jump in some overbore rounds and they still shoot 1/2" 100 yard groups. If it's built well and the barrel likes the bullet, it will shoot. Just load to mag length and forget it.

If you have a Weatherby chambered rifle and the bullet can touch the lands without darn near falling out of the case, something's wrong... :)

as others have mentioned, they are supposed to have a good bit of free bore travel.

Not anything to worry about as others have mentioned. But it isn't a free pass to go straight to the maximum listed load. Free bore helps to amalgamate a portion of the initial pressure by allowing the bullet to move and transition from the neck of the case before encountering the resistance of the rifling. Keep this in mind as you build loads. Be safe and work up slowly, IME loads quickly went from safe to hot to dangerous within a narrow window of charge wight. YMMV

I have a brand new Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 257 WBY.

I want to use Nosler brass and Berger VLD bullets.

Any ideas? Would you be concerned?

Yes, as I'd recommend you try Weatherby brass.
Nosler is sometimes OK, sometimes not so much. Check out the ratings on different shopping sites if you wish.

Just a heads up for you as you start the process. It's not that difficult to find some once fired 257 Weatherby brass if you look around a bit. Or, use some of the 100gr factory Weatherby loads at $36-42/box to sight in your rifle as well as fireform the brass at the same time.

If you are shooting Berger bullets you will probably not be happy with the accuracy unless the bullet is just touching or just off the lands.
If you have quite a bit of bullet jump in your rifle you may have to experiment with different bullets.

Bergers shoot well in mine and I would recommend them as a bullet to test. It is important for your loads to be straight.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.