Bullet seating

Thompsonj

So I was decided I was going to try some 190gr berger in my 300RUM. When I loaded the 1st bullet, I got this mark on the bullet. Using a RCBS seater, no modifications. Any quick fixes or don't worry about it?

Attachments

• 20220224_162329.jpg
    20220224_162329.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 352
  • 20220224_162309.jpg
    20220224_162309.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 330
Common, i would not worry about it but if you want you could pull the seating stem out of the seater die and polish the edge a little with mothers so that the contact area is not as sharp and pronounced on your bullet. it is common to see a mark on the polish brass jacket of the bullet from the seater.

JH

It won't hurt anything. You can wax coat a bullet and put a little dab of JB Weld in the seating stem and let it harden, then drill out the JB with a 1/8" bit at the center and get a perfectly matched seating stem if you want, that's what a lot of us did back in the days before you could easily get VLD type seating stems.

It won't hurt anything. You can wax coat a bullet and put a little dab of JB Weld in the seating stem and let it harden, then drill out the JB with a 1/8" bit at the center and get a perfectly matched seating stem if you want, that's what a lot of us did back in the days before you could easily get VLD type seating stems.
That sounds like something I would really screw up

LOL, I have heard of a couple instances where the bullet got glued into the stem really well, but I've done 4-5 stems this way and no issues personally. I do it in the press so I know everything is lined up well, run the stem down a couple turns so the weight of the handle can keep a little pressure on it while it cures......

Don't worry about it. If you aren't deforming the tip 98% of the time it doesn't matter.

If you want to worry about it anyways:

You're seating that thing down deep in there, have you measured distance to your lands? My 300 RUM seats out a couple tenths past the 3.600" book COL.

I used to get that line on the bullet tips from one of my RCBS dies.
As mentioned, fine sand paper and very gentle pressure, then cleaned up the sanding grit. Took a couple of tries, but no more mark.
There was no difference in point of impact with or without the "racing stripe."
Does look nicer without the line though.

If it is just a scuff, no issue. If it is causing a dented ring, issue.
Try less neck tension, and this should go away.

LOL, I have heard of a couple instances where the bullet got glued into the stem really well, but I've done 4-5 stems this way and no issues personally. I do it in the press so I know everything is lined up well, run the stem down a couple turns so the weight of the handle can keep a little pressure on it while it cures......

This is a good idea. I've always put a bullet in a drill with Flitz on it and honed it slightly….works wonders and usually pretty quick.

I find it is caused by bullets that wobble in the seater, excess neck tension, or compressed loads. "Fitting" the seater or buying one fit to your bullet is the right answer. Most die makers will fit one for a nominal fee.