Bullet seating depth help

BoomFlop

So I am loading 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in 223 Rem. Nosler Manual and a few others list OAL as 2.26".

Here is my question: Is that correct, as I've read I need .224 into the neck to provide enough neck tension. If I take a case that is 1.748 and a bullet that is .6995, it would require a max overall length of 2.2235 to have .224 in the neck.

Do I still load to manual OAL or seat deeper to the 2.2235?

Thanks,
Steve

What are you shooting it in? the 40 gr V-Max is a short bullet. If you are shooting in a AR type gun then the magazine may decide the length you can load to. I actually load all my 223s to the same lenght and shoot them in my ARs and bolt gun. If it has a camalure grove then load to that. To answer your question my 50 gr V max is 2.240 COAL.

Trust the manual for the bullet you are using, those who wrote it spent lots of time and money to prepare it. If you want to experiment, have fun and expect to have a few bullets stuck in the barrel, been there done that (not on a 223)

Sedancowboy

I'm shooting them in mag fed bolt guns.

So you have approximately .282 of bullet seated in the neck (assuming 1.75 trim to length case)

corsair4360

That tells me nothing though, which is why I'm asking the question. With a case of 1.7490 and a bullet of .6995, that leaves with .1885 in the neck, which isn't .224. So are they just assuming max SAAMI length? Is .1885 fine? I am asking because I don't want situations such as you pointed out.

Thanks
Steve

I wouldn't worry about how much bullet is in the case. Nosler does a pretty good job researching their data. If you look, they recommend 2.125" for the 40gr Varmageddon, I've taken it out to 2.260" without any issues. Not much holding it in place but it was more of a test to see how it shot. It was fine. As long as the bullet is held in place you won't have an issue. If you are concerned, load to 2.260" and press the tip on a solid surface. Should still be 2.260".

2.260" is SAAMI max length, for all Nosler(and other) listed bullets, including the 69/77/80gr. Not an end-all mandatory COAL for everything.

I run a 50gr V-Max in my AR .223 Wylde chamber. Mine are 2.260" COAL. I also have a 69 SMK load,again, at 2.260" COAL.

I don't think I would run the 40gr at the same COAL personally. Just because a book give you max COAL, doesn't mean your rifle will like a bullet seated to that COAL. Or you will even be able to seat a bullet that long.
Some rifles have to run them shorter due to mag length, some can run them longer. You do not HAVE to run a bullet at any specific COAL. I would be seating them with at least caliber length in the neck. Or .224" personally. More jump to lands, as long as it shoots well, won't hurt. .035" more jump than SAAMI is no big deal. I have certain loads for various rifles that have .120"+ jump to lands. You certainly won't stick a bullet in the barrel if you seat DEEPER than SAAMI max.

Have you checked YOUR rifle to see where, if at all, the bullets even touch the lands?

Here is my question: Is that correct, as I've read I need .224 into the neck to provide enough neck tension. If I take a case that is 1.748 and a bullet that is .6995, it would require a max overall length of 2.2235 to have .224 in the neck.

Do I still load to manual OAL or seat deeper to the 2.2235?...
1) Manuals are a guideline that tries to get "close" for "everything", which means they're usually "right" for "nothing".

2) One caliber neck grip is also a guideline. For example, the 300 WM only has a SAAMI spec of 0.264 neck, so one caliber isn't even an option. The 270 Win is like a giraffe, with an absurdly long 0.384 neck length (waste of perfectly good case volume IMO).

In your case, with a really short bullet like the V-Max, the manual is probably pretty close, but there's no hard and fast rule for neck tension.

1) Don't seat with the ogive below the case mouth. If you don't have a bullet comparator, you can test by sticking a loaded round into the muzzle, and if the brass touches, you're too deep.

2) As long as there's sufficient grip on the bullet to keep it in the case, the greater than one caliber neck grip is a goal, not a rule. I think 2/3 caliber is sufficient, if not ideal. You can measure bearing surface with a comparator, or as above, stick a bullet into the end of the barrel, and measure how much is left sticking out. That will be pretty close to your bearing surface. For boat tailed bullets, you can stick it in one direction and mark, then reverse and mark, then measure between marks.

As long as it shoots OK, and you can't push/pull the bullet out of place easily, you're fine.

Lance

My rifle with that bullet puts lands at 2.3085 OAL or 1.9000 CBTO. That would give me a jump of .0845.

I'll load to 2.224 which is exactly .224 in neck. I can then wiggle a little longer or shorter and see if accuracy isn't good.

Thanks bud,
Steve

Boomer,
Just to reiterate what some have said. That's a good rule of thumb (caliber length in the neck) but not necessary. It may help with runout, as the case has a better grip on the bullet and will hopefully align it up for its journey. I read somewhere seating depth has an effect on ES & SD. Guess I'll have to research that again.
I never go by the "recommended" OAL. I build all my bullets to each rifle's chamber. Adjust as necessary. Good shooting!

one caliber is a rule of thumb.
do you know what rules of thumb are good for ?
guidance, not a law
180 is fine in a holt gun, I have don't that in ar's!
1-2thou neck tension in a bolt gun

Called Nosler, they tested a max SAAMI case of 1.76 with an OAL of 2.26. Which still isn't a bullet diameter (.224) in the neck. I'm gonna go with 2.23, which will give me .2175 and should be sufficient.

Thoughts?

From what I have been able to glean - if the bullet does not fall, or you can't pull it out with your fingers, it is seated. Magazine - seat so it loads.

why 2.23 ?
load to mag length
load to touch(ing the lands)
two great starting points
Called Nosler, they tested a max SAAMI case of 1.76 with an OAL of 2.26. Which still isn't a bullet diameter (.224) in the neck. I'm gonna go with 2.23, which will give me .2175 and should be sufficient.

Thoughts?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.