bullet runout- question for 98 mauser/30-06

30-06 boy

hi guys,i have a 98 mauser that has been rebarreled in 30-06.i'm not new to reloading or shooting.i have shot 9.5" at williamsport 1000 yard matches.i'm not braging that group is not earth shattering.but i'm proud of sud moa at 1k.anyway i used redding comp dies for the 300 weatherby i used at williamsport.bullet runout didnt exeed .002 with factory spec chamber.i'm now "playing with this 98 mauser that i'm getting serious about "extended range" hunting with.i know bullet runout should be kept to a minium.how much is too much for a custom chamber at factory specs.this rifle shoots 168 matchkings over 60 grains of imr4831 at 2950fps.can cover 3 shots with a nickel at 100 yards.i'm now using off the shelf rcbs neck sizer and regular seating die.does .005 runout really matter in a factory spec chamber?i know it does in a tight neck custom chamber.thanks for your help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anything over a 2-3 thou run out will open your groups. If the bullet doesn't enter straight, no matter custom or factory, you will not get consistent groups. Try turning your cartridge half way through the seating process 180 degrees. This old trick will sometimes help a factory basic seating die. Also, the Lee collet dies are inexpensive and load some pretty good ammo. Of course, the Redding Bench Rest dies are tops.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts