Bullet for an extremely long throated 6.5x284

The_Whitetail_kid

Need some help here. Loading for a family members 6.5x284. The gunsmith that built it throated it extremely long, too long, and I'm struggling to get an accurate loaded it. For instance, to the lands with a 156 Berger is a 3.360" measurement. The gunsmith/builder that built it was very known, and well thought of so not sure why he throated it so long. He's not around as much anymore or I would ask him what he thought should be shot in it. Has anyone had luck jumping Bergers? I've got 156 , 140 VLD, and a few 140 Elite on hand. Also got some 143 ELDX. Anyone had any luck jumping any of these and getting them to shoot well? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Only one way to find out. I have had some real accurate loads with 156's that were jumping a mile. Eldx's don't mind jump either. Out of those the 140 VLD would probably be my last choice but you never know.

Is there enough shank to have the barrel set back and just start with a fresh throat and proper freebore?

Only one way to find out. I have had some real accurate loads with 156's that were jumping a mile. Eldx's don't mind jump either. Out of those the 140 VLD would probably be my last choice but you never know.

Is there enough shank to have the barrel set back and just start with a fresh throat and proper freebore?
Problem around here would be finding someone to do it

Sounds like it running in the Weatherby jump category.....run it hard and fast...
Do you have pictures of the throat..be interesting to see...

Just look for a good load and ignore the jump. Just for fun, I loaded some 65gr bullets in my 6BR that is throated for 108gr bullets. I continued to fool around with loads and found one that shot .25moa at 400yds. When I checked the jump I found it to be .150" off the rifling. I retested the load the following week and the results were repeated, shooting under 1" at just over 400yds.

The throat sounds exactly how Norma designed it…
Use the mag box length and tune powder to suit. Jump is NOT a bad thing.

Cheers.

Powder recommendations? l have h4831sc, h4350, h1000, retumbo. I worked up to pressure on h1000 and had nothing to impressive. Thinking 4350 or 4831 next.

Dang yours is long. I intentionally set up my reamer long to use 153.5 and 156gn Bergers, and my measurement was 3.200" COL to touching with a 153.5 gn.

Been using H4831SC. I'm not trying to find max velocity or max pressure, but accuracy - using the random starting charge weight I grabbed to shoot all the brass once through I stayed under 4" at 500 yards with zero tuning, running ~2750 FPS. There should be another node up between 2900-3000 FPS. I have a long barrel though, so 3000 shouldn't be that hard if there's a good group up there.

If this is a hunting rifle and you have the twist for them -the Absolute Hammer is designed to jump a lot anyways, that or a Cutting Edge should be able to handle a lot of throat.

How much bullet would it take being in the case for you not to worry about it pulling it out or something? I really haven't dealt with that issue except in this gun. This is a 20 thousandths jump with a 140 Berger VLD. Enough bullet in the case or no? I'd ideally like a little more but I really don't know

Attachments

• IMG_2950.jpeg
    IMG_2950.jpeg
    859.1 KB · Views: 26

Recent Posts