Bullet choices, what do you think? I value your opinion

NoMoreOldNo7

Looking for some feedback from you guys out there, gals too if your there (I ain't sexist when it comes to shooting). I am about to mix up some of my hand loads and it never hurts to get opinions from others. First off I'll tell you what I have, what my uses are, what my issues are, and what I am thinking of.

I have three hunting rifles that I hand load for, I hunt mulies and elk mostly, pronghorn occasionly. I have two Remington 700BDLs, one in 7RM (got it when I was 15 and that was quite a while ago, 1971 to be exact) the other 700 is a .300 WinMag. The 7RM sports a Leupold 4x12x40 Vari-X II that I just sent off to Leupold to have a CDS elevation turret installed. The .300 has a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 with BDC reticle and sf. My third rifle is a Springfield 03-A3 that is at the gunsmiths where he is re-installing the 30-06 barrel. The Springfield has a Leupold 3x9x40 VX-II scope. I do not have any current developed loads for the 30-06, but I am going to start with H414 and IMR4350 powders.

I have used 180gr Accubonds on the .300 with great success, they are accurate, (¾" groups at 100 yards, 1 1/2" groups at 200 yards) and perform well (the last two elk I have killed were at 297 yards and 350 yards and one shot and they dropped in their tracks).

I load 160gr Accubonds in my 7RM, again they are accurate and perform well, but I have a problem with the .300 and 7RM cartridges looking so close to each other, especially with both Accubonds having the same white polymer tip. For that reason I have always thought it would be an excellent idea to find another bullet for one of these rifles.

Since I was just about to start loading for the 30-06, doing research on the net is what brought me to this site. I had heard so many good things regarding Berger bullets for hunting that I decided to buy a box of Berger .308 168gr VLC hunting bullets. Once I researched it more here I wish I would have held off purchasing the bullets.

From what I gathered from my research here regarding the Berger bullets for hunting is that they are extremely accurate and upon impact will "explode" after a few inches of penetration therefore causing devastating exit wounds. I had always used the philosophy of retaining as much of the bullet weight as possible. With the innovation of the bonded bullets over the past 10 years I have found that I could use a bullet that retained much of its weight and still be constructed with a good ballistic coefficency (therefore good accuracy). With the bonded bullets I developed very accurate loads with bullets that had good knockdown power and I had good results with. I understand the benefit of the Berger bullet at even longer than usual ranges (I'll say in excess of 400 yards). I am not against change in thought and I am willing to give this new philosophy a try (the bullet breaking up rather than retaining as much of the weight as possible). After all I started using bonded bullets only after giving ballistic tips a try and having them fail. The idea of the ballistic tip flying good was great, but it took the bonding process to make it a good hunting bullet. I had found that the ballistic tip just didn't have the knockdown power for elk hunting.

I am now thinking that I will stick with the 180gr Accubonds in my .300, they have always done me well. Maybe trying the 168gr Bergers in the 30-06 or offering them up in a trade, but changing to the 165gr Scirocco or 165gr Hornady Interbond, as my main hunting bullet in the 30-06. In the 7RM I think I am going to the 168gr Berger VLC Hunting bullet.

I have a couple other changes I am thinking of as well. I am thinking of purchasing a HS Precision, McMillian, or Bell and Carlson stock with the metal insert for the .300 and maybe changing to a thumbhole wood stock and Leupold 6.5x20x40 VX-III with AO on the 7RM and using it strictly for long range hunting or competition shooting. After all that expense I suppose a heavier flutted barrel would be next. But the stock discussion will be for another thread. For now I would love to hear your opinions in what I have stated above regarding my bullets and what I had said.

Well I will share 3 loads that will serve you well.

30-06. Win case, 168 grn nosler BT 58grns Imr4350 3.325"oal will hit around 2860 from a 24" barrel, very accurate, atleast for me.

7mm Win case 160 accubond 70grns H4831 3.340"oal. 3030fps

300wm lapua case 180grn hornady interbond 72grns Imr4350 3.465"oal 3110fps

I use CCI BR2s in all these loads but if it gets real cold (freezing) use CCI 250 or Fed215 in the 7mm load.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.