Bullet Brands

Whatever fits your need and works best for your rifle.

My factory Remington 700's in 7mm-08 and 7mm Rem Mag with my self imposed max hunting range of 600m there are many bullets that will work for me.

These rifles shoot with accuracy bullets from Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, Speer and Remington. Some I use to foul the barrel and practice, others for Silhouette competition and others for hunting.

For hunting there are several bullets that will work great, just need to pick the right one that is appropriate for the cartridge you are using and game you are hunting. Some of the best for me are the SST's, Ballistic Tips, Interbonds and Accubonds.

There is no "Golden Bullet" that will do better in every situation than every other bullet. just one that does best in your barrel for the intended use. Different bullets perform differently under different circumstances and in different barrels. So I recommend finding that bullet and not getting hung up on one bullet. Everyone has there favorite bullet that has served them well and find it hard to try something else. Many times they are missing out for there distance and type of hunting/shooting finding the "Best" bullet.

Many shooters place to much emphasis on BC's and use that as the ultimate choice when there may be better overall performance with another style or brand. building many custom rifles and pistols, using the same reamer and barrel brand, most if not all have been individuals and preferred one bullet over all the others. There have been trends of good performance with one style and brand, but with enough searching, better performance was found using a different bullet.

If you are looking for the ultimate accuracy and performance, I would recommend
Trying different bullets.

J E CUSTOM

Only 'Golden Bullet' I know of is a suposotory.....lol

I have read so many post about bullets , but me and my family have shot nosler ballistic tips for all type of game in all type of calibers, and never have been let down, I just dont understand why shoot animals with a target bullet, just my 2 cents

I feel as though my 30-378 Wby shooting Barnes 130 gr TTSX'S @ 4030 fps works for everything in N.A. I do limit my range to 700 yards on sparrows. If I were to shoot them beyond that I guess I would have to try Bergers. Seriously 0 to 450 yards I don't believe the Berger will shoot flatter. I don't eat paper, so only shoot it to zero and test loads. My idea of long range hunting is 350 to 500 yards, so that 130 gr TTSX is perfect for every situation for me. I have other rifles, 270, 300 Wby, 7mm Firebird 30-06 6 mm Rem & Gibbs, but the 30-378 just takes the show. I don't have time to twist turrets or range a quick walking animal. I just aim and shoot. If the animal looks very small due to distance, I put the crosshairs on the top of the hairline.

I am not a fan of any particular brand. I shoot what works for my rifle. With that said, the Berger Hybrids has not let me down in the three different calibers that I shoot them in.

I use Berger's in most my rifles because they: 1) seem to shoot accurately in most of my rigs; 2) tend towards higher BC's than other bullets; 3) they excel at transferring their energy to the body of an animal; and 4) they are reasonably priced. Having said that, they do tend to have an Achilles heel: they tend to blow up (little penetration) when hitting bone at higher velocities (close distances). I would not use them if I felt all my shots would be under 200 yds.

The best "all-around" bullet suggests a bit of a compromise is required. When I feel that I am just as likely to have a shot under 200 yds as I am past 800 yds... I tend to go with the accubond.

Last edited:
For me I choose bullet for a particular application, accuracy and performance. In the .270AI, I've found the Nosler Core Bond Long Range 150gr to be a go to bullet for 300+ shooting on whitetail deer. In the 30-06 I started with the Hornady 168gr Match bullet (HPBT) to find out what the rifle was capable of; it was very easy to develop an MOA load for it. I am hoping that I can find a good load for the 30-06 using the Nosler CoreBond Long Range bullet for whitetail deer hunting out to 300yds. Because my rifle likes the Hornady 168gr match bullets I'll start with the load data for the CoreBond LR bullets and go from there. In the 35 Whelen there's two bullets that work well, for black bear the Barnes TX 225 grain bullet, but.....the distances I am shooting are between 50-60 yards; totally open, large entry and very large exit holes. For the Whelen out to 300 yards I use a Sierra 225gr Gameking SPBT bullet, there is no comparison between the Gameking and the Barnes for accuracy, Gameking works hands down every time. For black bear hunting, again at 50-60 yards the 45-70 likes just about anything that I put through it for accuracy. Presently I am hunting with a Barnes 300 grain, TX hollow point bullet, and unfortunately I haven't had any experience with the bullet's performance.

I feel as though my 30-378 Wby shooting Barnes 130 gr TTSX'S @ 4030 fps works for everything in N.A. I do limit my range to 700 yards on sparrows. If I were to shoot them beyond that I guess I would have to try Bergers. Seriously 0 to 450 yards I don't believe the Berger will shoot flatter. I don't eat paper, so only shoot it to zero and test loads. My idea of long range hunting is 350 to 500 yards, so that 130 gr TTSX is perfect for every situation for me. I have other rifles, 270, 300 Wby, 7mm Firebird 30-06 6 mm Rem & Gibbs, but the 30-378 just takes the show. I don't have time to twist turrets or range a quick walking animal. I just aim and shoot. If the animal looks very small due to distance, I put the crosshairs on the top of the hairline.
Love my 30-378 RC MK5, extremely accurate. I've never shot the 130 TTSX out of it. But it does love the 180 TSX OR TTSX either or. Might have to try the 130's just for kicks...

I have been shooting and reloading for a very long time and have shot many different calibers. Nowadays it seems that all the talk is about Berger. Are they really worth all the hype? I feel other bullets have just fallen off the radar. There are way better bullets IMO like Swift, Lapua, Speer, and Norma. What's your opinion?
Sergeant D,
I have been reloading for 37+ years, I have used just about every projectile out there, with the exception of Swift, Hammer, Cutting Edge, G2 Tech, and a few other specialized bullet manufacturers.
the most accurate hunting slugs in my rifles are Nosler, Barnes, and Berger
the most reliable slugs below 500 yards are Barnes hands down. (My most trusted slugs ever)
the best hunting slugs over 500 yards I have ever shot are the Bergers (close second is Nosler accu-bond)
best Varminting slugs I have ever used have to go to Berger 17 caliber, Hornady V-max and Nosler Varmigedon, 22 caliber
My target slugs of choice are Nosler, Lapua, and Hornady. (Sierra has finally gotten good at batch to batch uniformity)
Dangerous game slugs I trust are Hornady (.458" DGX and DGS) and (.375" Woodleigh 270 and 300 grain) for pigs the 375 H&H gets 300 grain nosler partitions or Barnes 270 grain solids.

I once thought that Speer and Sierra were the best but they have definitely let me down in critical situations and found their way out of my reloading bench since they refuse to make better slugs than these other people.
Just so everyone will understand I was a loyal Speer and Sierra user. I had such poor performance out of Sierra M/K's; at one point I was using Nosler Accu-Bonds for 1,000 competitions. I used Speer and Hornady for all my hunting until Speer started letting me down with marginal accuracy and weight variations within the box as much as 2.5 grains. bubbles on the sides of the slugs so they spun irregularly and some other things happened with Hornady. I started experimenting with any slug that I could get my hands on. A 5 year hunting and target experiment went on. the culmination is what I wrote above.
while up in Montana I was buying only Barnes slugs with few exceptions. deer went down with 110 grain Barnes out of my 270 Winchester better than anything I had ever used in California (Speer, Sierra, Hornady). for longer shots I was using 140 grain Barnes and 140 grain Nosler Accu-Bond (before I found Berger 140's and 150's). Elk was going down with 225 grain Barnes out of my 338 Win Mag like nothing I had used previous. Bear was getting a steady diet of either 250 grain Barnes out of 338 W/M or 400 grain Barnes out of my 45-70. something does upset me about Barnes. they used to make a wonderful 120 grain 270 slug that I was using but they no longer make it.
When my time was up in Montana I have not hunting much big game and have been shooting varmints, coyotes, prong horn, and nothing else since I moved down to help my parents out in Nevada. My time here in NV is running out, I am going to be either going back to Montana or I am going to be in another state where I can hunt more and bigger game again. then I can break out my reloading setups and get back to eating a much more freshly killed diet.

I use all sorts of bullets and brands. I hunt with the bullet that provides the best accuracy for the rifle I' using at the time. Stuff a bullet through the heart and lungs and the target will die. Choose the bullet that will allow you to do that.

There is no "Golden Bullet" that will do better in every situation than every other bullet. just one that does best in your barrel for the intended use. Different bullets perform differently under different circumstances and in different barrels. So I recommend finding that bullet and not getting hung up on one bullet. Everyone has there favorite bullet that has served them well and find it hard to try something else. Many times they are missing out for there distance and type of hunting/shooting finding the "Best" bullet.

Many shooters place to much emphasis on BC's and use that as the ultimate choice when there may be better overall performance with another style or brand. building many custom rifles and pistols, using the same reamer and barrel brand, most if not all have been individuals and preferred one bullet over all the others. There have been trends of good performance with one style and brand, but with enough searching, better performance was found using a different bullet.

If you are looking for the ultimate accuracy and performance, I would recommend
Trying different bullets.

J E CUSTOM

This sums it up. The hype is only coming from those inexperienced or trying to sell something that supposedly is differentiated from the rest.
As examples of reasonably priced bullets that I've found incredible accuracy with, are Federal Fusion Components (so far I've only seen them at Brownell's), Hornady SST and the Speer Hot Cor mag tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.