Built a GOOOONG!!!!

5Redman8

Here sare some pics of my gong.

Steel is 1" thick, big one is 18" diameter....small ones are 9" in diameter.

Best of all....it was FREE except for cutting the circles which was $20 at the local welding shop. Everything else was donated.....metal from my dad and the frame from my cousin.

Later,
Kyle

265157.jpg

265161.jpg

Looks sweet, almost too sweet. Do you want some advice?

Chain is great, but when (not if) you hit it with a stray bullet, it is not easily repaired in the field, unless you can tie a hell of a knot. Bailing wire is cheap, and when (not if) you hit it, just loop it back together and keep shooting.

Also, those nice welded loops that hook the chain to the gong will eventually get shrapnelled to death unless they are behind the face of the gong. And even there, they could still be shot off. If you have small holes cut in the gong, then you can just tie bailing wire through the hole and if the knot gets hit, just loop it around through the hole again.

I only mention these things so that it will help you. Interupting a good "gong" session for gong repair sucks. I know from experience! You're out there trying to jerry-rig something while all your buddies are waiting for mister 10 thumbs to fix the target!

Gongs are cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Free gongs are cooler. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Grouper,

Thanks for the heads up. I planned on the chains getting hit and have extra but I will also...per your advice....take some bailing wire with me. Also think I will have some hjole put in each one for rigging the wire after the chain are shot to hell.

Wanted to go shoot it today but Texas is trying to show Chicago WHAT WIND IS!!! steady 20mph with 35 mph gusts. This is one of those garbage can exchage days!!!!

Later,
Kyle

That is going to work great - Goodgrouper gave you excellent advice. I would drill a pair of 3/8" holes near the top of the steel plates and stick a simple "S" hook into the hole, then use a piece of chain or wire and another "S" hook at the frame. I would also consider switching the round cross-pipe for a piece of angle-iron when you fill it full of holes, then you can hook the "S" hooks direct to the angle-iron and not worry about the welded attachments breaking off when they get hit. Grouper is correct, bullets will do the damndest things. We also hang a big 2'x4' sheet of 3/8" plate on the frame for getting zeroes, need lots of width for windage correction. Also you do not really need a black aiming mark, much easier to split the white circle with the crosshairs, only need white paint cans, bullet splats will be visible better against a pure white target. Suggest that you the better grade of paint, amazing what a difference there is between a $1.50 can vs a $3-4.00 can - we once bought a case of $1.00 cans of paint, got exactly what we paid for - stuff was next to water.

Regardless, you are going to have some fun! Put that setup out at 7 or 800 yards and work your way longer!!! We have some very similar setups and they work good, plus if you can get them for nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Another great target can be made by simply welding short pieces of angle iron to the bottom of a 1/2" or so 12-15 inch square pieces of steel plate. Makes a base so that they freestand. Looks like an inverted "T". Bullet knocks them over or dings them, depending on their weight and how you set them up. We have a dozen of these targets and they get a lot of use.
Only problem is weight and you cannot get around that. Your 1" plates are going to stand up to a lot of abuse.

Where abouts in Texas do you live, I was just down in San Antonio and Abiline a couple of weeks ago. Envy your winter weather! Going to the NRA show in Houston next month - I like Texas a lot.

Cool goong man! That will be sweet when you start pinging away on those bad boys!! Ian and GG both gave some great suggestions I will have to remember those when I build one!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ian, I live near Dallas...actually about 30 miles East. We have had some great weather but as soon as I am ready to shoot at distance, the wind gets going.

Thanks,
Kyle

Ditto what Ian said about the higher quality paint, and just using white. I like the "S" hook and chain too, wire works just as well though and is what I use. Wire or "S" hooks should piece it back together when you get to that stage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welding some big nuts on the back of the plates gives a good loop to run the "S" hooks or wire through, and they stay protected...

Nice looking set up. I will have to see if I can post mine when I get it done. Lots of good advice for the final putting together. I'm still in the aquire stage. Got most of the stuff I need and will be putting it together soon.

Let us know how it works. I'd bet about a 10 (1-10)on the fun scale.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.