Building on a 1917 action?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by Wallowa Hunter, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Wallowa Hunter

Wallowa Hunter Active Member

Have any of you fellows ever built an ultra mag on one of the old 1917 actions?

I have a really nice Winchester action that really wants to be built into something. I have a nice 31'' .338 barrel that is just waiting for some threads and a chamber reamer!

Thanks for the input!!
    Tim

2. Captn C

Captn C Well-Known Member

I have one too...Winchester as well.

I am interested to see what they say too.

I know a guy who has two...300Wtby and a 338X416. I know neither action were Eddystone, but I don't know for sure which one they were.

3. Black Diamond 408

Black Diamond 408 Well-Known Member

I built myself a 378wby imp on one several years ago. Wood stock, octagon barrel. I made it a single shot.

Dave

4. fozzy

fozzy Active Member

I'm pretty sure Mysticplayer had a P17 that was a 300RUM and recently had/has it for sale. My wife shot it if I recall correctly. :)

5. Mysticplayer

Mysticplayer Writers Guild

magnaflux the action to ensure there are no cracks. Watch the bolt lugs too. Otherwise, it is a wonderful action to build a boomer off.

I used the Timney triggers and you can lighten them under 1lb easily. You will need to modify the cocking piece that come with most cock on opening conversions. Works fine with the orig cock on closing cocking piece.

Dayton Traister units are supposed to work together.

I had the extractor modified for push feeding.

Otherwise, works like any other action. I built about 6 of them in various cals and they worked nicely.

Still have a 338 Mystic cannon that needs a stock.
    Jerry