Building a rifle on a browning a bolt action.

Nubba0681

I have a couple duplicate a bolt short actions and wsm actions. A bolt 2. Not the new junky 3. I have heard a lot of smiths won't touch a browning action as far as building. I have saw a few builds so I know it's been done.
Going to start with a 6mm creed. If it goes good I'll do another in 6.5 prc.
Any pics? Ideas? Useful information?
All appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I don't have a picture (overseas right now), but I rebarreled my 2008 X-Bolt with a Bartlein #3. Pierce did the work.

They mentioned that the threads were pretty fine and there was a red threadlocker compound on there so it was a little hard to get off, but it turned out beautifully and they said it wasn't too hard to work on. They did great work.

I have heard from a couple of gunsmiths which said the same about the threads and the thread locker. They said they would rebarrel, but the cost would be higher because of the additional work to remove the old barrel and clean up.

Just put a barrel on an A bolt and it worked out beautifully. It had 15/16" barrel threads but that was no big deal. It shoots great. Was a 7 lb 300 WSM with a pencil barrel that climbed so bad it was hard to keep the scope off your forehead. Now it is 9 lb 6.5 PRC you can shoot all day. I kept the old barrel so if he ever needs a 300 we can screw it back on. Doesn't look like I took any pictures but I uses a 2b Bartlein and put an APA micro bastard on it to keep it still.

Just put a barrel on an A bolt and it worked out beautifully. It had 15/16" barrel threads but that was no big deal. It shoots great. Was a 7 lb 300 WSM with a pencil barrel that climbed so bad it was hard to keep the scope off your forehead. Now it is 9 lb 6.5 PRC you can shoot all day. I kept the old barrel so if he ever needs a 300 we can screw it back on. Doesn't look like I took any pictures but I uses a 2b Bartlein and put an APA micro bastard on it to keep it still.

Funny... I was just talking with Pierce about re-chambering my other X-Bolt to 6.5 PRC... Glad you like yours. Pic?

Exactly what I'm wanting to do with mine... please send pics when you get a sec if you have any. Mines in a 300 wsm and I believe my barrel is about shot on it.

Built it for a friend so I will shoot a couple of pics when I am over there. One caveat is you will need to chamfer the outer chamber edge a little more than usual to chamber the Berger type ogive (long and pointed) or the tip will hit the barrel edge around the chamber when loading from the magazine. I knew this already since I had to chamfer his stock 300 WSM barrel to load the 215gr Berger's

Built it for a friend so I will shoot a couple of pics when I am over there. One caveat is you will need to chamfer the outer chamber edge a little more than usual to chamber the Berger type ogive (long and pointed) or the tip will hit the barrel edge around the chamber when loading from the magazine. I knew this already since I had to chamfer his stock 300 WSM barrel to load the 215gr Berger's
Good to know. Anything I learn will give me a head start... I have several 700s and a couple built Winchesters but want something different.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.