Building a 338 Lapua improved??

Chappy22

Hoping to gain some knowledge for my next build. I am building a 338 lapua improved and will be shooting 300gr berger hybrids. I am trying to find out what action and bottom metal with magazine will work for this round. Does defiance make an action suitable for the 338 lapua improved. Also will the seekins bottom metal and magazine work with the defiance action. What have other guys used for this cartridge. I would prefer to use an hs precision bottom metal with magazine for my build but what actions would be suitable for this?

Basically I would just like to hear from some other guys on what they have used for their builds. I am set on the 338 ackley version of the lapua so please don't tell me the reason not to build it im just looking for some advice on this build.

also if anyone can tell me the C.O.A.L of the 338 lapua improved or a guideline to go off of.

I have one that is built on a Lawton action, but if I was starting from scratch, I would use the Stiller TAC 338 or Predator Extreme (same action except the TAC 338 is black). All of my LR rifles are single shot so can not comment on bottom metal or magazines.
Just MAKE SURE that the reamer used is set up for the 300 Berger seated to mag length, because when you seat that long bullet to mag length, what ever that turns out to be you will need very little freebore compared to a single shot, mine has a .240 freebore my OAL with a 300 Berger is 3.953 with about a .0015 jump.

JMHO

Dave

Dirtball, you must have used a VERY similar reamer to what was used in mine because our numbers are nearly identical.

My 338Lap Imp has a 40degree, or Ackley, shoulder and is built on a BAT HRPIC single shot receiver.

HS Prec. bottom metal will limit you to around a 3.6 OAL but Seekins will let you seat all the way out to 3.9 OAL and if you are looking to get the max out of it, Seekins would probably be the better choice.

1. Yes the Defiance action will easily take the 338 AI

2. Yes the HS precision bottom metal will work.

3. Call Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Guage and ask for the Speedy 338 AI reamer print for the 300 Berger. 'That is the AI reamer he recommends and works very well. Mine is 2960 with 300 gr SMKs or the 285 Hornadays and well under MOA.

4. Neal Jones can build the AI dies for $375 and best in the business.

Kirby built my 338AX on a BAT HRPIC. BAT did a little extra CNC programming on mine (so they now have the proper code to do it) to make it fit a 4" Wyatts box as I like to have the same rounds down in the mag that may be in the chamber. They did not charge extra to do this, which I thought was considerate of them, because it must've take some time to do. The shorter length of the 338 Lap (vs. RUM case, for instance) lets you do this with the long 300 Berger, which I happen to shoot right on the lands.

I believe Kirby's 'Raptor' actions are made by Defiance and it is likely the strongest action of it's type and specifically designed to hang a long barrel off of. Might check it out: Home Page (Allen Precision Shooting website). Might be a bit heavy, but I think Kirby has a lightweight version as well.

Thanks for all the great advice i think i will go with the raptor action by Kirby and the seekins bottom metal and magazine. I was reading somewhere that you need to alter the magazine or the action just wondering if that is true and what exactly has to happen to the action to make the combo work?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.