Shurley Bros. 338 Lapua Improved

pwrdbycotn

I want to take a moment to tell everyone about the newest addition to the gun family. I contacted Tommy Shurley back in May about building a 338 lapua improved for me and I think we ended up talking for about an hour about guns and hunting and family. Tommy is a wonderful person to deal with and I hope to deal with him again in the near future. I probably called him about 100 times during the course of the build asking different questions and getting updates and he either answered the phone when I called or called me back in very short order. I really couldn't have asked him to be any more available to me. I haven't had a chance to shoot this one yet as I've been busy and it seems to constantly be windy here. If it shoots as good as I think it looks it should be one-holer. I will update on how it shoots when I get a chance. Here are the specs on it:

Defiance Long action with 30moa rail
Seekins DBM
Krieger MTU 1-10 29"
Jewell set at 1.5 lbs
McMillan A-5 70% Olive, 15% black, 15% medium tan
Atlas bipod
4-port magnum muscle brake
Nightforce 8-32x56 NP-R1 with ZS supplied by Bob Beck
Flatline Ops level

Attachments

• P1000554.jpg
    P1000554.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 363
  • P1000556.jpg
    P1000556.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 333
  • P1000559.jpg
    P1000559.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 357
Very nice looking rifle. How many grains of powder are you going to be able to stuff in the case over the non improved version?

I'm not sure yet as I haven't started to load. The research I've done through google searches is saying somewhere around 100-102 gr of h1000. I'll start low and work up. I'm hoping to push 300gr bergers to at least 2950fps. We'll see. I already have 5 pcs of fireformed brass that Tommy used to check his work. I will fireform 15 more pcs as I usually only use 20 pcs of brass at a time.

I'm not sure yet as I haven't started to load. The research I've done through google searches is saying somewhere around 100-102 gr of h1000. I'll start low and work up. I'm hoping to push 300gr bergers to at least 2950fps. We'll see. I already have 5 pcs of fireformed brass that Tommy used to check his work. I will fireform 15 more pcs as I usually only use 20 pcs of brass at a time.
Im ASSuming its the same as a yogi or real close. Most yogis bust 3k with ease. If they didnt there would be no point in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.