Building .270 Long Range Rifle for Cheap?

if you are looking for an inexpensive scope look to the super sniper. remember these are 30 mil tube, i have 1 and it holds its zero very well. i just order the new bushnell 5x15x40 tactical new they are 329.oo. i have heard very good things about these.

I am interested in the Bushnell 5x15x40 tactical. I really like the 5x15 power range which is a good balance between low and high power! I wouldn't mind having 50mm instead of 40mm, but that depends on how good the scope works with the 40mm. Do you like your new Bushnell?
Thanks Nathan,

Last edited:
if you are looking for an inexpensive scope look to the super sniper. remember these are 30 mil tube, i have 1 and it holds its zero very well. i just order the new bushnell 5x15x40 tactical new they are 329.oo. i have heard very good things about these, if this is to much money then look to the bushnell 10x40 new in the box they are 179.99. make sure that you have them in good rings and bases. then you can save for a mark 4, nightforce,s&b or Ior.

Please let us know how the 5X15 Bush. does!!

Back to the 270, I had great results with the 140Acc. this past fall, in all cases the bullet performed, all with a .486BC & sub 1/2"(3-shot) in a M700ADL, stock of all things!!

Well I'll have to throw in a plus on the Bushnell 3200 10x42 scope, I've had one on a 308 for heck 4 or 5 years now and I just have not been able to tear it up yet! about to order the 5x15 for a 243. I would love to own one of the Night Force scopes but hey I'm financially embarrased so I get the best I can afford! you rifle seems to be shooting well anough to get you some good practice but with the skinny barrel be sure and let it cool down after a few shots! I had a 6.5x55 the would shoot like a house a fire but that 3rd shot would just hit an odd spot on the target and the barrel would be HOT! Take your time and practice! you don't need a $3000 custom to practice LR, just get out there and practice and that way your figure out what you like and don't like for when you get to the point of building that custom LR rig. Give you an idea I started out wanting to build a 280AI and after looking and soul searching about what I wanted it too do and asking questions on this board I've decided on a 338 Edge, either way practice will be the best thing you can do right now and work on a good load your rifle will shoot well and go practice, and have FUN! Later,

Kirk

I just bought the 5-15x40 Tactical. I've only been to the range with it once, but I am pretty impressed. The clicks are very solid, loud and accurate. I also love the eye relief- 4.3". The glass is very good for the price. I'm very happy with it. I got it from a dealer on ebay for $282.

Does anyone know how much adjustment the Bushnell Tactical 5x15x40 has. Will It adjust enough for 1,000yd shots? If I need a angled base what one would I use, since my gun is a 710 model?

Thanks Nathan,

Also, I went on Bushnells website and the 3200 tactical 5x15x40 didn't have turret style windage & elevation? But, they do on other websites like cheaper than dirt? Do you know whats up with that?

Also, I went on Bushnells website and the 3200 tactical 5x15x40 didn't have turret style windage & elevation? But, they do on other websites like cheaper than dirt? Do you know whats up with that?

Make sure it is model #325154T. The "T" is the tactical. The "M" is the regular turret. It has 50 MOA adjustment. Most places show the "M" scope even when they are selling the Tactical. The place where I got mine was that way.

I wish that I would have read this post sooner. I had a 710 and I was very amazed at the accurac that I got out of it. I also had the .270 and I was shooting the Hornady 130gr sst. I also put on a barrel deresonator and a limbsaver recoil pad for length ( I have long monkey arms). I shot a 5 round group at 200 yards that you could put a dime over. I was surprised as hell. I also nailed a woodchuck at 512 yards with it. Man I loved that "cheap" gun!!

Did yours have the gray stock? My cousin has a 710 shooting 30.06 and his has the gray stock. From what I see the Olive Drab stock that mine has is fairly rare? I looked online and couldn't find any with the Olive Drab stock? I read on one website that the Green stock was a special edition model?, but I can't confirm if that is true!
I heard the new Remington 770 which replaced the 710 is built better than the 710, but who knows if that means it shoots better or not?! I think it just depends if you get one of the good ones from the factory or not!

I wish that I would have read this post sooner. I had a 710 and I was very amazed at the accurac that I got out of it. I also had the .270 and I was shooting the Hornady 130gr sst. I also put on a barrel deresonator and a limbsaver recoil pad for length ( I have long monkey arms). I shot a 5 round group at 200 yards that you could put a dime over. I was surprised as hell. I also nailed a woodchuck at 512 yards with it. Man I loved that "cheap" gun!!

Re: Scopes. For the money our family has been pretty happy with the Bushnell Elite's. We have a few of the 3200's and the glass is good with no problems. We paid under $200 for each of our 3x9's.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.