Budget Priced Range Finding Binocs?

I have also had great support from Leica. Sent my Geovids in to be recalibrated free of charge. They had to be sent to Portugal, so it took some time was the only downside.

I too, can not say a thing bad about Leica. Had a product go bad that I was not the first owner and I had no paperwork they replaced it free of charge. Can't get any better than that.

Hi All - Newbie here. I've been using the forums for months to increase my knowledge (I'm an archery hunter who's always shot rifles, but just getting in to longer range hunting) and I now have a question for y'all: Looking into budget priced range finding binoculars. Budget is around $1200 (Swaro EL's and Leica Geovids are outside of my reach). Any suggestions?

Just received my hunting catalog from Bass Pro/Cabela's and there were a few in it within my budget. The Sig Kilo 3000 BDX and Vortex Fury HD's are both $1200. There are also 2 options at $1000. The new Cabela's CX Pro HD and the Nikon LaserForce 10x42. Anyone have any experience or preferences? Anyone know who manufactures the Cabela's brand?

Thanks!
Optics Planet has the Vortex Fury HD 5000 for less than $1050 with coupon code, not sure how good price that is but they get really good reviews.

I have had nothing but fantastic service and support from Leica.

I had a pair of Geovids that developed condensation in one of the lenses.

I spoke to someone named Roxanne in their NJ facility and then to her supervisor. They said that the repair would cost me $1,500 and take 3 months to repair since it had to go to Austria for the work. Since I had a hunt coming up in a month I asked if they could lend me a loner with a deposit....they refused. They weren't that nice about it either.

I'm just giving the OP my 2 cents on my experience with Leica, and advising him that there are MANY Leica cust serv horror stories on line if he does a search.

There are some here too

i've had great luck with Leica service as well. Dad and i both are on our second pair of Geovids now. You can often find them on camofire for i believe around $1600 brand new, the ones with the ballistic program, can't remember if it's the HD-b or r

To the OP, looking at Leica's vs Sigs, Leica will have the advantage when it comes to glass. Their glass is excellent, no two ways about it.

However, that comes with a much higher price tag, as you should expect. Sig freely admits that their 3k BDX is not alpha glass like the Leica's, but it is an excellent rangefinder, very powerful with advanced connectivity to a Kestrel which is stable and fast. The glass itself is probably Vortex Viper grade, they compare it to their Zulu 5 glass. In the review I am doing right now, that appears to be pretty accurate.

The Leicas do not offer the same connectivity in their binos. If you get a 'b' model, depending on the generation, it has onboard ballistics that are sufficient within it's limitations if you tweak it, but it lacks the connectivity to the Kestrel that really opens up the distances. But again, the glass is top shelf. So you kind of have one with the best glass, and one with the best RF suite (not necessarily power, but overall including connectivity to a Kestrel etc.). Just have to decide what your priority is and how much you can spend.

Concerning Leica's CS reputation, you will find lots of complaints in the past. But over the past couple years, Leica USA took this head on and IIRC, doubled their CS staff, and also revamped their CS priorities. Current experience from people I have talked to is a completely different experience than it was years ago, where I understand there were real problems. To their credit, they seem to have done much to address that problem.

BTW: since you mentioned SIG, do they make their own scopes? If not I am wondering who does...makes their lenses, etc

I honestly don't know who makes their stuff, but I am sure it's not them. Some of their higher end stuff is assembled here, but I believe the parts are all made overseas, and most of their items are assembled there as well. If I understand it correctly, it's basically the same as Vortex, Bushnell and others. I would bet LOW does their higher end stuff, others is probably China or whatever.

I honestly don't know who makes their stuff, but I am sure it's not them. Some of their higher end stuff is assembled here, but I believe the parts are all made overseas, and most of their items are assembled there as well. If I understand it correctly, it's basically the same as Vortex, Bushnell and others. I would bet LOW does their higher end stuff, others is probably China or whatever.

Ugh! The SIG name on a Chinese product...all I need to know.

What about the new GPO rangefinding binocular. Their glass gets really good reviews. Just a few hundred over your max. Doug might give you a good deal?

Counterpoint: I think the Vortex glass is pretty darn good. And with something that has complex electronics to go wrong, their warranty is suddenly really attractive.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.