Budget build

Cheaper budget rifle or save for more expensive?

• Cheaper and now

• Expensive and later

Results are only viewable after voting.
The more guns that I build over the years, the more I realize that it just depends on the project I'm working on at that moment.

My two favorite guns are at opposite ends of the spectrum. One is a Savage Striker in 284 Win that I'm into about $600 without the optic. I got the donor gun (Striker in 243) for a good price and then stumbled onto an unfired 19" McGowen barrel in 284 Win for under $300. For a scope I found a used Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50 with a Premier Reticles conversion for $550. That 284 has been my go to target gun for everything out to 1400 yards for about 6 years now. It was built as a tool and it sees a lot of hard use (but never abused!) when hunting and shooting

The other gun is a 338 Big Baer (338/408 Improved) specialty pistol which was a "spared no expense" project. That one has a BAT model CT multi flat action, 20" Lilja Barrel, Joel Russo pistol stock made from bubinga and was all assembled by Alex Wheeler and topped with a NF ATACR. The total price tag on that project was more than I like to think about! It was built for a very specific purpose though and using top end components was a part of that. That gun doesn't get shot all the time but it's one of the only guns that comes out when I know I'll be shooting between 1 mile and 2600 yards.

I'm 100% happy with how both guns perform and I've honestly done a lot more "budget builds" than all the others combined. I'll point out though that my budget builds all shoot just as well as my top dollar customs. I've got a 6mm BR specialty pistol that I assembled on the tailgate of my truck with a 19" Benchmark Barrels prefit that I got for $375 that I used when I shot short range BR years ago, and that gun out shot a custom 6ppc that I had at the same time. I've had 6 McGowen prefit barrels that would shoot 5 shot aggs in the .4 range and none of them cost me more than $400.

Most of the time, the extra money you spend on components doesn't make a huge difference in practical performance. It's definitely not a linear progression where a 50% increase in budget results in a 50% increase in performance.

If your anything like me, there is no such thing as instant gratification, it's more like "cheaper and later". Single income household, wife in school, 3 kids, a mortgage, boat and car payment will do that. I have been trying for two years to get my .270 Sherman build together, so far I have a barrel and a remington 700 action that I traded for. Still need a stock, trigger, bottom metal, base and rings, scope, dies, and brass. I try to be optomistic, but it will likely be hunting season of 2020 or later before I hunt with it, and it is going to be budget parts. I still think it will be a half moa rifle though. My smith does pretty awesome work.

Wait till you get older..House paid off.. Kids on their own..paid cash for my 4-Runner
no payments other than stuff like gas and electric... no CC's!
BUT I had every one of those obligations. Linda worked the whole time she was in school ended up with her JD which helped! I paid my dues! Now it's my turn.
Linda just re-did the kitchen so she gets in on it too!
Hang in there better times are coming!

That sounds great. But at the same time I'd like to get out and enjoy hunting and shooting before my body takes the downhill ride. I suppose though once the kids are grown there's more time to work on yourself as well so maybe it'll work out.

We actually agree on this.

You don't always have to spend $5K to have a good rifle, like some folks will try to tell you. If you have the money, or just want to, go for it...But it's not a guaranteed prerequisite to having an accurate or high-quality rifle.

My use of "budget" is the "actual allocation of funds" for my intended purpose and has nothing to do with being cheap or expensive similar to what yorke-1 noted in his post.

I'm kind of like yorke-1 I have builds that came together "just right" that were pricey and inexpensive. I have a savage action, Shilen barrel set up on a nut in a boyds stock that I love, I have a few custom actions, custom fluted, jobs done by top tier builders that I love too. I say use what you have and if you really, really want a component get it..If it is going to take significant time and effort/expense..then get the avalible component and get shooting. An example for me--I will never wait on a McMillian stock again...waiting a year is just crazy--I used iota on one of my last build I wanted a game warden for and am more than happy.

Rifleman there is a trade off..I sat at baseball, football games Plays Recitals when I could have been hunting or fishing? My priority's at the time were the kids not me? When it's all said and done I'm glad I did it that way. My revenge is so much crap they have to deal with when I'm gone!

I prefer to wait for better options because in the long run you'll spend less. But one glaring reality is that time is a commodity, and you can't buy it back. So then it might be prudent to factor in if you'll have the time right now to go out and use your rifle. If so then I'd get it set up now and enjoy it. If you do you could test out if the cartridge is what you really want to invest it for the future. Just my 2 cents worth.

So I already have this thread so I'll ask here first-

What stock would you all recommend? I'm interested in something light weight. I have looked at McMillian Hunter and Remington Compact, Manners EH1 and EH4, B&C Alaskan and Mountain, and the Iota Krux. I have also looked at HS but they are a bit heavy. I would buy a B&C for sure but I'm concerned with the quality. Reviews are all over the place for them. What are your thoughts?

Like some folks getting into the budget category comes with its own values,,, same can be said for the more pricey stuff,,, of course this is not saying that there isn't a middle ground to work off of either,,, I'm the middle of the road fellow that Sloooooowly builds up from there...

By the time I'm done building I could have the rifle I want at a fraction less the price,,, but I won't have the rifle stocks and triggers I favor,,, that's why I go the building route... Custom builds work for me.

My F Class rig is sorted,,, my Remmy LR as well,,, both builds came at a cost,,, but I'll have them till my end days,,, of course both these rifles will see some up dates as time passes by.

My 3rd frugal rifle is still factory,,, it shoots awesome for a hunting and part time plinking unit,,, I've had it out on lots of 1 to 200 shoots,,, the 4,,, 6,,, 8,,, 9 and 1 km challanges along with stretching it out to its max at 1435 with some hot loads... LOL... Yes it works,,, but it ain't nearly as accurate as a custom heavy weigth that's built for that stuff...

A well built unit with the right ammo and launching pad to get those bullets down range is the plus of a system set up for good times...

I could buy a budget rifle and tweek the edges of it to make it shot well,,, but my budget allows for a fraction more then that,,, it really depends on what a person budget is,,, how much they choose to spend and what the over all goal is,,, """short term and long."""

Knowing that will better the odds at getting it closer to where one wants to end up,,, that's part of the fun in the puzzle isn't it.

Cheers from the North

I have been planning a .338 build of so sort. I have weighed the cost between a custom action for $1500 or a trued Rem 700 for $500. looked at barrels from $350- 1000. Stocks from free to $1000+. I am leaning towards the trued 700 with a remage barrel for about $900 or so. I want a walnut or maple stock. They run $150 -250 for the ones I want. Bottom metal around $150ish. I am hoping to get one together for around $1200-1500. Now this is with me fitting and finishing the stock and doing the assembly. It won't have all the bells and whistles like a true custom, but will serve well for my first build. I could never afford a $5000+ custom and then another $3000 for optics. If I play my cards right and get lucky, I might get scope and all built for $1500.....then again I might win the lotto.....if I played

I'm on my third B&C. My most recent one needed the barrel channel deepened a bit for free floating but other than that they have been great. My only other complaint is that the pistol grip is too "open" for my liking. I prefer the tight radius grip of the BDL stocks.

So I already have this thread so I'll ask here first-

What stock would you all recommend? I'm interested in something light weight. I have looked at McMillian Hunter and Remington Compact, Manners EH1 and EH4, B&C Alaskan and Mountain, and the Iota Krux. I have also looked at HS but they are a bit heavy. I would buy a B&C for sure but I'm concerned with the quality. Reviews are all over the place for them. What are your thoughts?

Budget buy:
https://www.opticsplanet.com/graybo...ml?_iv_code=2QV-RK-OLLABDL-OL-RS700-BDL-RM-03

Save up and get what you want:
McMillan Classic is quite nice but takes $$ and time.

I think that we have all had that dilemma at some point. My approach, lately has been to scratch the itch by building cool stuff, inexpensively, with good quality. Once I make it shoot straight and can document those results, I'll play with it for a while, and then put it on the list of the rifles that I will sell when it is time to fund a 'lifer project'. Based on the comments included with items for sale in the classified section, I don't think that I am the only one with this approach. Fair warning, if you are looking for an ultra-accurate rifle, you might find that a stevens 200 with a $95 trigger upgrade, a used take-off barrel in a cool caliber, a bedded boyds stock, and a good load work-up might out-shoot anything else you have. This could make it hard to sell, and could set you back on your 'lifer project'....but those are the good problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.