Buck Fever

LongestShot

I don't understand it; I'm 68 years old and I still get afflicted with buck fever. Last night I ranged him, 128 yards, a chip shot. He was standing still, perfectly broadside at the edge of the field, I squeezed the shot off and missed completely. He looked in my direction and walked off into the woods, a nice 8 point buck. I just got back from testing the scope; lying prone I put three shots all within a half of an inch of dead zero at 150 yards. You'd think that by this point in my life I wouldn't get the shakes from seeing a nice buck. Back out tonight to try again.

Bucklowery said it best.

As for controlling it, that is something you must work on. The way I have learned to control the jitters is in practice. I don't walk or ride to the target from the bench. I jog there and back and get my heart rate up, that way when I sit behind the gun I am not calm. I have to be in control of my breathing and in tune with my heart. I still get very excited/buck fever like when shooting a deer, bear, small game or turkey. Like said above, if I lose that element, it is time to do something different. Then when it comes to the shot, I work to smooth out my breathing, which calms the heart, and I only look at where I am going to shoot. I am not shooting at the antlers, so I stop looking at them. I am not shooting the body either, I am shooting that one hair or patch behind the shoulder. I focus on my breathing, on the patch of fur, and my slow exhale the rifle goes off.

Hope he gives you another chance. Get em

I am not shooting at the antlers, so I stop looking at them. I am not shooting the body either, I am shooting that one hair or patch behind the shoulder. I focus on my breathing, on the patch of fur, and my slow exhale the rifle goes off.
Once I determine it's a buck that I want to shoot I don't look at them antlers again until it's on the ground.
I don't think we'll ever not get the fever but keeping it under control is possible.
I agree with Sealesniper and focus on the single spot behind the shoulder and not the whole body, control your breathing and the next thing you know the shot is gone.
I will expect a picture soon. Good luck

Every time you shoot develop an aiming routine. Find your target (as said, a single hair), aiming device on that single spot, breath in and out a little deeper than normal several times, breath out to the bottom of you cycle, focus on the squeeze. Simple shooting techniques but if you focus on them it will calm the fever edge. If not good, sand bags, blink and jerk!! If I lose it I will quit!!!!

Develop a shooting mental checklist for each shot. Range, hold, adjust scope, verify, pick an actual spot (that's not on antlers), IGNORE antlers but watching head is good for deer behavior, try to find something on spot to increase focus, squeeze etc. Keep mind busy on a defined shot checklist to eliminate the "look at that rack shakes"! My shakes after the shot are ridiculous. My voice sounds like a 12 yr old. Like stated, IF this ever stops, I hope its because I am in ground.

I killed my biggest buck couple years back that I told my son it was a shooter since I never really tried to guess how big he was. It wasn't ground shrinkage but holy cow way bigger than first thought. You know its a shooter when you see them, so for me its get shot off versus admiring before its on the ground.

I find this mental checklist works even better with bow!

Try as others have said above. I have a son and nephew who get buck/bull fever and miss a lot. Son missed a buck at 135 this year and nephew missed a bull at 150 both MZ. When son in school lived at home never missed, nephew never missed until turned 15. My opinion based on observing them shoot (27yr firearms Instructor, long gun, pistol, Automatic Pistol/Rifle). No question they miss because they flat do not practice and shoot with good fundamentals enough.
Suggestion for you. Try to find someone who can teach (not just a good shot) and know how to see issues as they occur and how to show you things to work on. They should be watching every single detail including your eyes for tension indicators. For just you I would suggest you get a 22 pistol and rifle with iron sights and start practicing. Start with basic skills and close range until you can shoot small groups at good distance. Then start including drills and practice that induce some stressors (exercise!!), and eventually drills that force speed with accuracy. I would expect a couple hundred rounds a month using 1-3 round strings. If you don't have ability to get to the range or shoot near your house get an PCP or air soft rifle and pistol to practice with (good ones not $20 junk). PM me if you want and maybe I can help based photos and videos. I used "coaches eye" on my phone to video people so they could see what I was talking about.

My adrenalin kicks in after the shot. I try to watch the deer as long as possible before the shot. To give you're nerves time to settle down. Try not to feel rushed. I had the same problem years ago. Took thousands of shots with my .22 LR set up like a big gun to refine my trigger finger to respond with calm control. I've dumped deer out to 500 yards, A mean feat in Alabama, where 90% of the shots are under150 yards.