Bryan Blake (F Class Products) .338 Lapua - first try at 1047 yards

LRNut

Bryan Blake has built one 28N on a Borden and rebarreled two Stiller actions for me, the latest being a .338 Lapua that never shot really great with a Brux barrel (but I do have a .300 RUM with a Brux that is awesome). Bryan makes his own barrels and now actions. Like giving away a good hunting spot, I hesitate to mention him for fear of him becoming too popular, but he deserves it.

I have been shooting this at 910 yards, but today decided to try a shot at my 1047 yard rock. This is the absolute first time I tried a shot at this rock. My Kestrel showed zero wind, but a lighter flame was bent to the right slightly. Then, just before the shot, it bent to the right, then went calm. This was early this morning, so no mirage. My SIG Kilo10 said 22 MOA with a 1/2 wind hold (I entered zero wind). (I zero spin at 500 yards.) The video was made with an iPhone 6 attached to my Meopta set at 70x but I recorded it using my new iPhone recording a playback on the iPhone 6. You can see the wind was very slight to the right at the rock even though it was zero at my position.

Bryan's work is topnotch; my first build from him was after I watched him shoot a 20 shot group at 500 yards that measured 1.9." He made the barrel that the winner of the world F class champion used (Bryan himself finished 12th).

I would also like to thank James Eagleman (Barbourcreek.com) for his review on the SIG Kilo10 - I love this thing.

I also love my SIG 10K. What kestrel do you run?
The X or the Elite can link to the SIG. I run my kestrel on a wind vane on my tripod above my head. Then when I range the target the kestrel also gives a wind hold. Obviously this is only a starting point for a wind call. Like you said the wind can do a lot of different things between you and 1000 yards.

I have the 5700 Elite; I don't link it to anything, for the simple fact that if I see mirage, that is my wind call. If I can't, I will use the Kestrel to measure wind. Just took a shot at 780 yards. Kestrel said 3.5 mph but the mirage was fast and flat to the right. I held 2 MOA for wind and hit about 3" from center at 7:30. Honestly, I have a shock-corded pole with a string on it, and it is better for a local wind reading than a Kestrel. Gives me wind direction and speed (take the angle and divide by 4). If I only have a Kestrel, I add about 25% to whatever it says.

Recent Posts