Browning XBolt Factory Bedding

I'm not sure if this picture from my smith is while it was in process, or when finished. I can tell you for certain that the gun shoots much better now

View attachment 489772
Looks like a great bedding job and you should be set! I actually enjoy bedding rifles however my x-bolts are both pro models with carbon stock and I don't see any opportunity to improve on their factory bedding for that stock. The two pics below are x-bolt pro factory bedding and you can see the pillars on the underside pic. I also added some pics of my bedding jobs on Howa, Weatherby-prepped for epoxy, and Sako (all carbon fiber stocks).

IMG_7013.jpg
IMG_7014.jpg
40CB7B24-24EF-489B-9D07-EF89A90D6918.jpeg
F773B5DE-FA04-4214-A52A-B5B08C9F9006.jpeg
363203BB-D381-4BED-992E-26B2C4CFEEFB.jpeg

So yesterday I picked up a new XBolt in 270 WSM from my LGS. Today I pulled the action out of the stock (pretty tight!), cleaned the action, lug, and barrel to get the bedding 'stuff' off of it.

Here is what the bedding looks like from the factory:

rear.JPG
front (2).JPG

I didn't touch the bedding or stock at all....just put it all back like I received it from the factory.

I reassembled the stock and action using my torque wrench working front action screw first and then the rear: 25-25, 35-35, and then the front bolt to 45 inch pounds.

I then set the jig and gauge up on the barrel and set the dial to zero:

1.JPG

I then loosened the rear action bolt to relieve all pressure on the tang. The dial moved 0.005"

2.JPG

I used the torque wrench to return that rear bolt to 35 inch pounds and the dial indicator returned to zero. I then loosened the front action bolt to remove all pressure up there. The dial indicator moved in the same direction again, this time 0.0055"

3.JPG

I again tightened the bolt back down to 45 inch pounds and the indicator returned to 0.0005"

I kinda find it odd that the dial moved the same direction when loosening each of those bolts. I kinda figured any 'rocking' would have sent the dial in opposite directions? I really figured having the front bolt tight would have kept the whole works firmly in place....but that wasn't the case.

Now to see how it behaves after I send it to my gunsmith for him to bed it.

Thoughts?

**EDIT**
Jig source: https://www.ebay.com/itm/325485181171

Last edited:
So yesterday I picked up a new XBolt in 270 WSM from my LGS. Today I pulled the action out of the stock (pretty tight!), cleaned the action, lug, and barrel to get the bedding 'stuff' off of it.

View attachment 490393
View attachment 490394

I didn't touch the bedding or stock at all....just put it all back like I received it from the factory.

I reassembled the stock and action using my torque wrench working front action screw first and then the rear: 25-25, 35-35, and then the front bolt to 45 inch pounds.

View attachment 490392

I then loosened the rear action bolt to relieve all pressure on the tang. The dial moved 0.005"

View attachment 490391

I used the torque wrench to return that rear bolt to 35 inch pounds and the dial indicator returned to zero. I then loosened the front action bolt to remove all pressure up there. The dial indicator moved in the same direction again, this time 0.0055"

View attachment 490390

I again tightened the bolt back down to 45 inch pounds and the indicator returned to 0.0005"

I kinda find it odd that the dial moved the same direction when loosening each of those bolts. I kinda figured any 'rocking' would have sent the dial in opposite directions? I really figured having the front bolt tight would have kept the whole works firmly in place....but that wasn't the case.

Thoughts?

**EDIT**

That looks like a good quality composite stock. I've not yet bedded any composite stocks, only wood and carbon fiber. My son's Savage is composite but it shoots very good as is and we switch barrels between .243 and .308 so may not bed it. I would say that one upgrade to add to the bedding job might be pillars for each of the two action bolts. Take a look at the x-bolt in my picture above. The rear pillar has to be shaved because it is so close to the magazine. When the two bolts are tightened or loosened the composite stock material may compress or relax a bit without the pillars. My Weatherby Mark V had the "hot glue" type of factory bedding and I replaced it with epoxy bedding material.

View attachment 490393
View attachment 490394

View attachment 490392

View attachment 490391

View attachment 490390

Thoughts?

**EDIT**

Wondering if you have a update on this after your gunsmith bedded it.
Thanks

Wondering if you have a update on this after your gunsmith bedded it.
Thanks
He convinced me that it was good to go as it was and just go shoot it. 122gr HHT Hammers over RL16 gave me this as measured with a caliper after I got home. This is exactly 11 shots fired with this combo to find this load:

1710110144413.png

Glad I took my smith's advice!