Browning bedding

overbore

By remote control!!! got your attention? My son in "Next to Nowhere, Colorado", has a Browning 7mm mag on their syn stock. He is hand loading and is getting about 1-2 fps SD's so we are on the mark there but from a rest his shots are not repeatable using a Swaro scope and I suspect the bedding. He has a trophy hunt, is an experienced hunter with mounts on the wall covering the trophy room, booked but he knows nothing about doing skim coat bedding or a quick glue in. I live in Georgia and have zero expertise beyond the M-70 and the Remmy 700 series. Can anyone give their expertise, please? Many thanks, Overbore

OB, Sorry I can't help with the bedding, but I may be some help by cautioning your son if he does bed the stock. I was visiting a friend yesterday and he was epoxying a plastic stock back together after it broke half into at the back of the mag well. He was trying to tap the action out by whacking the heel of the stock on the table. A very common practice, but I never even thought about one of the Tupperware stocks breaking for any reason. I always figured they would just bend and flex. Apparently not.

Good luck, Tom

Overbore, it could very well be a bedding problem but the first thing to check is the Swaro scope. Have your son put a scope that is known to be acurate on the gun to check. Then bed the gun with pillars if the scope proves out.

Jon A. on here did a complete layout on bedding a Browning A bolt that will take you through the whole process. A search will bring it up for you. ___7mmRHB

Thank you Sir. I have tentatively diagnosed his problem as shifting first shot impact from spongy fore end. Swapped scopes; same results. Cordially, Overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.