Browning A-bolt Bedding

pmieras

New to the forum and looks like tons of great info...

Did a search of the forums and didn't find what I was looking for in regards to bedding an A-bolt. Found just about everything else.

I have a question for bedding the rear of the action, specifically around the tang area. There is a thin plate that goes between the stock and trigger assembly / rear tang. How is this area addressed for bedding?

It looks like the rear action bolt doesn't have much material towards the front of the rifle to make bigger for pillar bedding.

Was wondering if there were any pics or anything addressing this area. Looks like people have successfully bedded their A-bolts and have seen some pics, just not of this area... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The only place I've bedded Abolts is around the recoil lug and under the front if the action. I didn't mess with the tang or sides. They have all shot great with only the recoil lug bedded.

That's what I figured since the trigger assy is what is making contact at the rear tang....

Thanks. Does anyone else have anything else to add or are there any other suggestions?

Do a search on some old posts by JonA , I think. He has some good pics of one he did a few years ago. I would be interested to know myself. Good luck.

Did find a link to Jon A's build for his a-bolt... looks like the link is dead tho... bummer. Looks like it was a really old post.

I am in the process of stocking two A-Bolt rifles, and took a few quick pictures to show how I bed them.

One customer wanted a complete pillar bed, and the other wanted only the front lug area bedded. So, the corresponding pictures will give you an idea of what the rear pillar will look like if you choose to go that route. This particular stock is taking on numerous coats of tung oil, so I had to remove some tape from the rear pillar to take the picture. I counter-bored the pillar to accept the rear screw assembly and the thin metal tang plate that you speak of.

Attachments

• browning front.jpg
    browning front.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,399
  • browning rear.jpg
    browning rear.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,393
Hope this helps. I bedded a buddy's a bolt awhile back, not the prettiest job by any means but very functional and did increase accuracy. Sorry i don't have any finished pics i forgot to take them. I used Rem 700 pillars with modifications.

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.