Browning bar 300 WM

lorvan

I would buy this rifle ( I have found an used one very ugly but with a nice barrel) for hunting instead of my bolt action sauer 90 7 rem. mag.Does anyone have info about this rifle and if it is enough accurate for shooting up to 450- 500 yards at a deer as a withetail or at an Hog?
How may I improve its accuracy?
Thank you..

Lorenzo Vanni
Firenze Italy

When I was a teenager I bought one for hunting in timber, usually running shots. I put a Leupold VXII 1X4 on it. It shot as accurate as any of the factory bolts with factory ammo 1.25 MOA that's a 5" oup at 400yd which is good enough for hunting big game. I would have shot better with a higher power scope. The longest shot I made with it was 90yd and most were less than 50yd. Boy that SOB would flat kill a Whitetail up close. i wish I still had it.
Dr B

Talk you baylor for your anmswer.
I am buyng one now, it is now at the gunsmith, waiting for a new magazine. I would make a muzzle brake, but I do not know how I may do: I have seen some rifles with a series of holes near the muzzle, but I do not know as they works..

Lorenzo

the BAR is a pretty heavy gun aso the recoil shoulden't be that bad , but a brake would haelp alot if your recoil sensitive. The piece os junk that Browning puts on their guns works for reducing recoil but it is god awfull bad with muzzel blast the one 300BAR I shot had the BOSS brake on it and it gave me a bad flinch after about 3 rouns due to the blast hitting me in the face and you also loos about 3" of usable barrel when the add the BOSS.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.