Browning a bolt issue

I believe anyone can have a mistake , it's how you step up and handle it thats why we have warrantys and a manufacturers name means something on purchase.

More the company standing behind their products. If one of 3 locking lugs fail. There is a bigger issue, IMHO. There are other choices, I guess that's what I'm saying.

Think of the overall number of rifles Browning has sold versus the actual number of failures, the chances are miniscule, then look at their track record of handling these actual failures. While you hear reports that some were not satisfied with the outcome in their situation, I am also willing to bet that the story you heard isn't the full story.

I have had several instances of Browning standing behind their products. The new A5 3 1/2" gun was a huge ***, spoke with service, they took it back and replaced it at my choice with a 3" gun, no issues, same with an early Gold 3 1/2" gun, replaced with a 3" at my request. 3" Maxus that the stock would shoot loose in 100rds of sporting clays, they replaced the stock, same issue. I took it to a certified Browning gunsmith who solved the issue with a slight modification of the hardware used to attach the stock to the receiver and didn't charge me. A-Bolt Medallion 308 that would not shoot anything factory under 2", they replaced the rifle with the same version, shot ragged little holes with a variety of factory 168gr and 175gr ammo.

The key piece of the equation is: reloads. I have no qualms with a cast receiver, but I prefer good old steel.

I have been shooting Ruger's for a long time without any issues. My hunting buddy has been shooting his A-bolt in 7mm RM for decades with out any issues. Other than his 375 H&H, the 7mm RM A-bolt has been his only hunting rifle for hundreds of animals.
I would suspect a flaw in the casting, but that is just a wild mule guess in my part. You would need a metals expert to examine the break. I presume you found the broken off part.

What is a SED? being as it's a 243wssm they are loaded to higher pressures . They would have to believe me that my loads weren't excessive or I didn't make an error. Either way being fair when was the last time you seen 243wssm on the shelf?

Glad you shared this. I have been contemplating buying one of the Browning long range models. This gives me reason to rethink that purchase.
I wouldn't let this dissuade you from Browning. I have 2 A bolts and know of several friends with X-bolts including Hell's Canyon. Awesome factory guns. This the first I've ever heard of a catastrophic failure. Rare

What is a SED? being as it's a 243wssm they are loaded to higher pressures . They would have to believe me that my loads weren't excessive or I didn't make an error. Either way being fair when was the last time you seen 243wssm on the shelf?
Secondary Explosive Detonation.

Well Browning finally looked at my rifle. They sent me a quote of $180 to repair. I'm not really all that happy about this it's deemed outside there warranty period. Kicker is 6 more weeks till repair is done .
Either way rifle is gone when I get it back. Even if I was charged parts only I'd be ok but I can't see ( from my perspective)any owner negligence.
This fall a catch on my Vortex tripod broke (my fault) I called Vortex they sent me a shipping label and repaired tripod was back in hand in 8 days! No charge . Probaby didn't cost them that much overall , they will get my lifetime of positve reccomendations and full customer support! For the same reason I am not going to support Winchester Browning . I do realize it was a malfunction and do not feel they were negligennt in any way. I n todays world I would like better customer support( and am willing to pay for it) sorry so long , wanted to update anyone interested.