Browning a bolt issue

mttinman59

Has anyone ever heard about a Browning a bolt varmint stalker shearing a lug off the bolt ? Its been returned to Browning but I have researched and some were recalled due to " catastrophic " action issue . They say mine wasn't included in recall and weapon is out of warranty. It was a proven reload I fired and there were never any pressure issues. Thnx Bob

I actually came accross another such thread on another forum.

OP of that thread had it happen to i believe a SSA action shooting 243WSSM.

I've seen recalls from Browning concerning the 300 RUM.

IIRC the A-bolt is a 3-lug action. You say " a lug off". I don't see how a lug could shear and it not affect the other two. Were you able to retract the bolt? Do you have any pics to share?

It can get tough when you mention a 'proven reload', all Browning hears is 'reloads'.

I bought a Browning lever years ago, it had a chamber problem. It was used when I got it, brought it to Arnold, MO when the problem became evident. They were ok to me, but blamed the issues on reloads from the previous owner.

I haven't heard of such a thing; not to say that it can't happen, just that I haven't heard if it as of yet. I own 7 A-Bolts, along with a bunch of other actions of various types. I have A-Bolts in 338 WM and 375 H&H; both are 20+ years old and have seen a fare amount of use. AFAIK, they haven't evinced evidence of bolt damage.

I don't generally use the A-Bolts for high volume shooting, but I like the A-Bolts for hunting due to thier thumb safety that locks the bolt down and their magazine that's fitted to the bottom plate, as it keeps the mags from coming out accidentally and from dropping in the snow/mud when taking them out with cold hands.

As another poster stated, it's hard to imagine one lug shearing off without at least significant damage to the other 2. Please post up the disposition when you hear back from Browning.

I had the same problem in 2010 with a Browning A-Bolt II Stainless M1000 Eclipse in 300 WSM.
Just prior to heading to Montana and Saskatchewan on a hunting trip I made one more stop at the range for practice. I fired a shot and when I cycled the bolt nothing came out. I took the bolt out and immediately saw that only 2 of the 3 lugs were still showing. This was either round 116 or 118 fired in the 4 year old rifle. All of the rounds fired through it were either Barnes or Federal Premium factory loads with the 165 grain TSX bullets.
I took it up to my local gun shop, a Browning dealer and he was able after multiple phone calls to get them to fix it. They tried the out of warranty story, but that didn't fly. Who would buy a rifle that wouldn't fix a major failure like that.
When it was returned it had "developed" a crack 3/4's the way through the laminated stock, just behind the thumb-hole. That was returned and fixed, but I think UPS was blamed for that.
My first gun, a Browning Sweet Sixteen was given to me when I started hunting. I was a big fan of them with 2 shotguns, a 22 Buckmark and 3 A-Bolt rifles. Needless to say I wasn't pleased with them and have moved on to H-S Precision.
A true gun maker stands by their product like Blaser. I bought a R-93 from my cousin who was the second owner of that rifle and had an issue with loading it. I shipped it to them and they polished the chamber to correct the loading issue and rebuilt both the left handed and right handed bolts that came with it. Now that is a stand up company, all it cost me was the cost to ship it to them.

You said the magic word that means they are not responsible RELOADED ammo. If you read the legal disclaimer paperwork. It says warranty voided if you use any but factory ammo.

I'm not gonna lie to get warranty coverage. I try my best to treat others the way I would like to treated. Being fair I would never want to be responsible for any one elses loads either. If there has been an issue with this problem in the past I feel they should step up, if they dont so be it. I'm shooting mostly all customs now I probly haven't used this rifle in 7 or 8 years.

I've owned a couple of A Bolts for many years. A stainless stalker in 300 WM and a blued synthetic in 338 WM. Bought them both new and they were two of the best factory rifles I ever owned. I tried many loads in them including a few that went over max and had to be dialled back and have never had any problems with the bolt. The triggers were difficult, the stocks had to be reinforced to get the flex out, and the barrels are tough to remove, ( I shortened both and put a muzzle brake on the 338), but the actions have been solid and smooth and both rifles are very accurate. I've taken some of my best animals with them. The only thing I can think of on yours was perhaps that one lug was the only one making solid contact. A Bolts are a cast receiver maybe there was a defect in the fit.

I've owned a couple of A Bolts for many years. A stainless stalker in 300 WM and a blued synthetic in 338 WM. Bought them both new and they were two of the best factory rifles I ever owned. I tried many loads in them including a few that went over max and had to be dialled back and have never had any problems with the bolt. The triggers were difficult, the stocks had to be reinforced to get the flex out, and the barrels are tough to remove, ( I shortened both and put a muzzle brake on the 338), but the actions have been solid and smooth and both rifles are very accurate. I've taken some of my best animals with them. The only thing I can think of on yours was perhaps that one lug was the only one making solid contact. A Bolts are a cast receiver maybe there was a defect in the fit.
Pretty well been my experience with them. They generally shoot very well with a number of loads right out of the box.

Agreed, I've been happy with the rifle up to now. Accuracy has been good 243wsm I bought the koolaid not impressed with the caliber and bore scope confirms excelerated barrel wear (firecracking).But I knew what I was buying.