Browning a bolt issue

Hey Bob,
Thanks for letting us know the outcome of this. I'm glad you weren't hurt when the lug sheared off & very happy it can be fixed & remain functional for you.

From a "neutral party" perspective, the gun doesn't have a lifetime warranty and you were using reloads which would have voided any warranty anyway. $180 to get your rifle fixed & back in action doesn't seem unreasonable.

Obviously you can choose to feel any way you want but I see Browning/Winchester as acting reasonably considering the circumstances here. Maybe I'm missing something?

They shared nothing! just sent me an invoice. If reloading voids an warranty in my opinion thats bs! I bought 2 boxes of 55 gr 243wssm with the gun for brass I chronoed them at around 4250 fps and the primers were FLAT! so they could get their big #s I personally backed my loads off to increase barrel life. My issue with manufacturer is 10 weeks and **** poor comunication, have the brass ones to say you didn't take any responsibility because of reloads in rifle and see how it effects sales

The $180 seems reasonable enough to pay to get the rig back working if it had sustained such a significant level of damage. Conversely, it seems like a small enough sum that I'm surprised Browning didn't just cover it. Obviously, something was wrong. If nothing else, it would give threads like this a positive conclusion. Glad you didn't get hurt when things got damaged.

As stated earlier, I have a number of A-bolts that I often use for hunting. In the field I like the thumb safety that locks the bolt down and the floor plate attached DBM. Since some of them have fairly high round count, I feel pretty safe; however, I'm going to go over each of them with a fine tooth comb to see if there's any signs of systemic damage.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I have a A-bolt in a 300 WSM in a Boyds stock and I really like it a lot, however I will now keep a watchful eye on it. Serial number says it was produced in 2000-2001 era.

Thanks for posting this. I have a A-bolt in a 300 WSM in a Boyds stock and I really like it a lot, however I will now keep a watchful eye on it. Serial number says it was produced in 2000-2001 era.
I have exactly 1 A-bolt - a stainless stalker in the exotic 30-06. Oddly - a really good shooter among the many in my safe. It took 4 trips to Browning to get it there, though. Never again. What a ridiculous saga. The only upside was the fact that they stayed on the ball to get it right.