Brown santa stopped by....3000bdx

Supposed to, but I have not had the courage to unscrew the cap to see if it is really there. Doc from Applied Ballistics said there was, but the manual does not mention it. Mine is a demo, so it's an early model...so it may differ from production models. But I'll check...

Edit: Yep, it appears to. Front cover unscrews and is threaded for what I assume is a standard stud.

Catorres, will these mount directly to a spotting scope tripod via base of the binos or will an additional adapter be needed? Curious as mine should arrive early next week and I would like to order a separate mount if needed.

JW,

Not sure I am answering your question correctly, but as I understand it, you will need to buy a stud mount that will screw into the front of the bino. There are a bunch of different mounts available, some of them might be RC2, others maybe Arca swiss, others still none of the above and you attach your own plate.

As I don't have one for our binos yet, not sure which will be best. Vortex makes two different options, I need to get mine down to Cabelas and try both to see which will fit best. Of course, outdoorsmans makes studs, and lots of other people too, but my Cabelas has both Vortex options in stock that I can actually try before I buy, so I will likely go that route.

http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/sig-sauer-kilo3000-bdx-laser-rangefinding-binoculars.6886491/

exerpt from post #25
{However, if you have a Kestrel with AB (Elite or Ballistics model with link), you can pair the RF or Bino to the Kestrel. When you hit the range button, the RF will talk to the Kestrel, the Kestrel will come up with a shot solution using the full AB suite (all forces considered) and will return a fully considered shot solution back the the RF/Bino where it will be displayed. The distance for this shot solution is limited only by what the Kestrel will supply, which I believe is 5k plus...}

Yep, works great with my 5700. But according to Doc Beech from Kestrel, it won't work with the 4500. He did not say why, I did not ask. He just said it would not connect.

JW,

Not sure I am answering your question correctly, but as I understand it, you will need to buy a stud mount that will screw into the front of the bino. There are a bunch of different mounts available, some of them might be RC2, others maybe Arca swiss, others still none of the above and you attach your own plate.

As I don't have one for our binos yet, not sure which will be best. Vortex makes two different options, I need to get mine down to Cabelas and try both to see which will fit best. Of course, outdoorsmans makes studs, and lots of other people too, but my Cabelas has both Vortex options in stock that I can actually try before I buy, so I will likely go that route.

Thanks Catorres! That helps!

Yep, works great with my 5700. But according to Doc Beech from Kestrel, it won't work with the 4500. He did not say why, I did not ask. He just said it would not connect.

From what I'm hearing and reading it works with the AB software. Reading more in the SH thread, the glass is good but not top shelf. That does bother me. For years I hunted with Cabellas binos... this would be a step up for me and the price is right compared to Zeiss and Leica. I'm glad I saw this thread

From what I'm hearing and reading it works with the AB software. Reading more in the SH thread, the glass is good but not top shelf. That does bother me. For years I hunted with Cabellas binos... this would be a step up for me and the price is right compared to Zeiss and Leica. I'm glad I saw this thread

Yes, it does work great with specific AB equipped devices, but only specific hardware. At this time, that's the 5700 Kestrel and the Foretrex. The 4500, while it has AB, is an older iteration of hardware and I don't think it runs the same communication protocol. So according to Kestrel, if you want them to talk, you will need a newer Kestrel.

As to the glass, yeah, I do wish it had alpha glass, but then, it would have alpha prices, and I could not afford it! My FL's are definitely better, and Sig was very open with me in our discussions about what was coming and that they see this as awesome rangefinder with solid glass, but that it, glass wise, it would not be taking on Leica. They wanted to make something that more people could afford, so they chose the Zulu 5 level of glass.

For most people, I think this is about the level of glass they are good with...Zulu 5's generally compete with Vipers, and that's a pretty broad market. But for people that are running alpha glass, it's not what they are used to. The difference particularly shows up waaay out there, the image on my FL's just holds up better, there is seemingly less mirage, and you seem to get more minutes at the end of the day.

It's a tradeoff, no doubt. What I hope they will do some day is move the BDX capability into their Zulu 9 glass. But then, it would be well outside my budget, I am sure...

I'll say this, man, the workflow is awesome! RF binos have always been great in that respect, but when you add in the connection to the Kestrel and then it dumps that info into the RF AND illuminates your hold on BDX scopes....very fast! So much so that my son sold his VXIIIi to buy the BDX system.

The only thing I would add if I were them would have been to keep the compass in the RF...neither the 3k nor the 2400 BDX have an internal compass, so for the long shots, you have to manually set DOF on the Kestrel for Coriolis etc to be correct. The 2400 ABS has an internal compass, I wish they would have left it in the BDX devices, but I am sure that was a cost decision. But still, unless you are really punching it way out there, it's not an issue, and if you are....you have the time.

Oh, and locking diopters....wish it had that. Probably will just electrical tape them to preclude bumping.

But yeah, if you are running cabelas, unless they are the Euros (Meostars) I would guess they are at least on par, probably a step up. Hopefully, you can find a set to look through to see if they will do the job for you in balance of what else you get in the system.

My 3000 BDX binos arrived yesterday. I took them out briefly after work and was impressed with the glass, definitely good enough for what I need. I did all of my ranging offhand and was very impressed. I was up on a hill and pointed them down toward an intersection off in the distance that has multiple street lights, signs etc. I was able to repeatedly hit them at 4459 yards while in scan mode. When I went back home I confirmed that distance on Google earth. 2000 yard hits on structures were fast and easy. Moving cars were also easy and fast to range repeatedly as they moved away. When I have some more time I will range them on smaller targets at the range as well as farm animals off in the distance. So far I am very pleased. My previous LRF is Leica 1600B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.