Brown Bear bullet

partisan1911

I have been shooting a 338 lapua with 300gr matchking with great accuracy. What would be a good hunting bullet for long range brown bear?
A matchking would work at long range but with a close encounter I don't think it would cut it.

What would a good .375 bullet be for 500yards?

I use 270 grain Barnes XBTs or whatever they're now called--the new ones have cannula grooves. But you may want to try the 300 grains version. This year I loaded up some Barnes 350 grain solids and surprise--they shot to the same point of impact at 100 yards as the 270s. They are round nosed, but some form of copper bronze matrix, still not a real long range bullet, but then 500 yards isn't overly long range--for most game.

I'll not moralize here--just state my way. I wouldn't shoot any bear beyond, say, 200 yards unless there's snow on the ground and the bear really needed killing with any load/rifle. I killed a starving grizzly in a cabin on Thanksgiving day 2008. He was around 25 years old and his teeth were--and are--worn below the gums. He'd taken to visiting homes in an ever decreasing circle in our two adjoining villages looking for anything he could eat. The fore-mentioned was compounded by an injury he received in late August or early September; someone shot and hit him in his right rear ankle. Skinning later that ankle was the size of a football and gangrenous--so much so that anyone entering the shop got sick. The Discovery channel aired a report in their Alaska Most Extreme program April 16, 2009. A six-year-old girl daily sledded down the hill that led to the cabin I shot him in--every afternoon. I shot him a little after noon.

In many respects we were lucky; villagers were vigilant for over a month knowing an "ice bear" was in their midst. I hunted/tracked him for as long and been caught out after dark doing so--a stimulating experience. Dark means after 2PM here in late November; it's "light" around 11AM or so. Not much time. Nor would there be for anyone mauled and munched on by this wounded and desperate bear.

Attachments

• Gruesome's demise da.jpg
    Gruesome's demise da.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 84
I think that for an over the counter bullet I would go with the Barnes 285 TSX BT, Barnes 250 TTSX, or the 225 TTSX. If you have the coin for custom bullets the GS line seem to be good. I dont think your gonna find any really high B.C dangerous game bullets. A few people have been reporting way better B.C's on the 285 grain Barnes than the published .585. which isnt that bead to begin with.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.