Black Bear Bullet Selection

valleyloader

I apologize if this thread is a repeat of a past thread, however searches have not really provided the answers to my question.

The situation I have is selecting a bullet for a 30-06 for use on black bear within 100 yards that will put it down as fast as possible. I know that there are many variables that will come into play with this question shot placement being very important. To better paint a picture for you, I live in western PA where bears are not exactly plentiful in my area. This past year I was hunting with my friend and his 15 year old son, both are using a 30-06. My friend's son had an opportunity to kill a 125lb bear on the first day, he drilled it through the ribs and the bear never flinched and a hunter about 100 yards away (extremely thick cover) shot it in the neck and dropped it. Of course the boy was very disappointed and ask me, who loaded the ammo what went wrong and what can be changed so it didn't happen next time. My load is a 150 grain barnes ttsx over 60 grains of H414 CCI #200 primer and Remington case. This load as proven very effective on whitetails (which we have killed many with this load). I have read elsewhere that with bears you have to break bones to drop them, maybe this is the case. The boy and his father are both avid archers and always want to shoot for a double lung shot and don't like to hear anything else. Several years ago the boy's father killed a bear in this area that was 168lb and took 4 30-06 180 grain core lokts through the ribs before a final one to the neck secured it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated I have never fired at a bear and am therefore inexperienced in this arena, I have many years of experience reloading some experience long range shooting. I know that there are many individuals on this forum with much more experience than I and would greatly appreciate any feedback

I think your load is sound. Shot placement would have to change to guarantee DRT type results though. Unless you break their front running gear, they are likely to move 50-100 yards before giving it up. That 150 TTSX should hammer bears.

Not germane but I have bear on my property up north and when deer hunting, I always carry my 44 Smith loaded with 240 Sports Masters backed with Lil Gun.

I figure if I had a confrontation, the 240 HP's would bring it to a close quickly.

You have to put that bullet through the shoulders to break them and it will be DRT. Black bear are no harder to kill than a deer especially when you are shooting little bears like you are talking about. Most of the time if you shoot a deer in the lungs it will run off a ways. It is dead but the fact has not gotten to it's brain yet.

The situation I have is selecting a bullet for a 30-06 for use on black bear within 100 yards that will put it down as fast as possible.

I have read elsewhere that with bears you have to break bones to drop them

Ok, watch my video. This bear's shoulder was broken, and yes he dropped but didn't die quickly. Take what you see for what it's worth.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/my-bear-kill-video-some-more-bear-watching-123585/

The ONLY bullet I've ever used in my 30.06 that killed black bears right where they stood is the 180 Swift Scirocco. All of my firearm hunted black bears died by way of my 30.06 except for 2 with a 338WM. I have never recovered a Scirocco bullet. I killed one of my 2 bears in BC with a 168 TTSX. The 2 with the 338 were killed with 225 gr Accubonds.

Ultimately it doesn't appear to be an issue of a trophy skull black bear in your area so a head shot at close range is what many bear hunters would tell you to do. My first guide in Maine told me to do that. Your deer load will work fine but the TTSX is really too much bullet for the thin skinned black bear unless you're definitely aiming for bone.

Bottom line is, within 100 yards, ANY soft bullet will work fine, even the cheapest factory stuff. If buying off the shelf, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Federal cheapo ammo in any bullet wt. Remmy corelokt is fine, Winchester PP, Hornady Interlocked.....all are fine. You want to load something with a bit more flare, I highly recommend the 180 Scirocco over a full case of Re22. That is my primary bear load and accubonds are next. I have a few kills on video in various Canadian provinces and every bear that took that Scirocco bullet was DRT.

My brother used a 180 ballistic tip in both of his bears. Both DRT. Both were in bow range.

My load is a 150 grain barnes ttsx over 60 grains of H414 CCI #200 primer and Remington case. This load as proven very effective on whitetails (which we have killed many with this load).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated I have never fired at a bear and am therefore inexperienced in this arena, I have many years of experience reloading some experience long range shooting. I know that there are many individuals on this forum with much more experience than I and would greatly appreciate any feedback

My Dad took his 205 pound black bear at 90 yards in August using his 7mm Wby and 150gr Barnes TTSX. Bear was quartering towards him, and the bullet entered in front of the right shoulder and exited ahead of the left hip. Flipped the bear over backward, DRT. You should have no problems.

If you're sure the range won't stretch, any of the 220 grain RN's bullets will work. I like the Nosler Partition. The 200 grain Accubond is another good general use bullet.

Thanks for all the feedback, I like the videos too, looks like shot placement is going to be the key to DRT. I did pick up a package of 180 accubonds on my way home tonight before I saw the video. Maybe we will see what they do on whitetails before next years bear hunt.

The 180 AB puts whitetails down quick in a 30.06. That's my experience on several deer in KY.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.