broken scope??

BigA1976

Ok guys ,need help...I have a m700 Remy wearing a Burris E1 . I had it sighted in and had it leaning up against the bedroom wall when my fiance knocked it over. Went to the range and it wasn't even on paper!! Got it back on at 25 yds and tried back at 100 and it's hitting on the outer edges of target (the big Redhead Bass Pro targets).. was the knocking over enough to damage my scope?? I did check the rings and all are tight.

could have bent the scope body... had that happen once (also getting dropped) on an older bushnell on a '06 and I simply bent the scope back and re-sighted... with a more expensive optic I would have sent it in though...

I checked for damage and there is none,Burris has lifetime warranty ,I guess I should send it in.

Did you try to re-zero it at 100 yards? From your post I take it you zeroed at 25 yards then shot one shot at a 100yards and then quit because it was so far off. Hunting rifles get banged around. Just simply falling over should not have damaged anything much. More than likely movement somewhere. So check everything even the screws holding the receiver in the stock

Re-zero at 100 yards then see how far off center the reticle is by counting clicks or whatever and comparing to the scopes overall travel. If the windage or elevation is way off center then I would send it in.

Investing in a good rail and rings is money well spent to help eliminate such issues.

Aluminum rings? Ebay bases and rings? Is the mount screwed down with locktite? I assure you if you send the Burris in you are wasting money on shipping and delaying the true repair.

Leupold steel dovetail base and matching rings...no tocktite..didn't think I needed it with steel rings on a .270 Win. Or do I???

I checked for damage and there is none,Burris has lifetime warranty ,I guess I should send it in.

if the scope doesn't show any visible bending, it is likely something else got loose.. I'm with IEH on this... Give the rifle the once over first.
It could be internal with the scope, but not likely-- had it happen once to a leupy though, my 2-7 vx2 took a hit when my Pops bumped the rifle. It wouldn't hold vertical zero after that until Leopold went over it and proclaimed it good to go with no issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.