Break action rifles for (mountain-) hunts?

Actually are you right. The best suited rounds for break actions are the rimmed due to the extractor but comprises have to be made sometimes. :) BTW, you find can find a rimmed version of the 300 H & H, the so called 300 H & H Flanged Mag. S. E. gun)

Yes, but the Cabela's 50 year #1 is in the H&H version, and I've had some great time packing an .300 H&H. Logic has it's limits.:D

I love the look of break action rifles and am currently fighting the urge to buy a full stocked version of the new BRNO. One thing you have to be careful of in break actions and magnum rounds is frame flex from what we would call bolt thrust in a bolt action rifle. Break actions are sleek, compact, elegant not to mention ambidextrous.

Have seen the gun at CZ - US you were talking about. Brno Effect FS. Really nice, run and buy! :D Honestly! You can't buy it in Europe, that's...:rolleyes: BTW, today's "normal" magnums aren't dangerous anymore since most actions are of so called monobloc - style. "Power - stations" like f. ex. the RUMs are something else. gun)

Back a few years back, there were a Wickliffe rifle kit one could get and build one yourself singleshot rifle . It was what i heard great quality on them and the price was fair. What stopped me then was lack of interest and the idiotic gunrules over here . 6 hunting guns in total, if you have say 8 and want a new one, sell down to 5 ...

Anyway , It was not a break action rifle to start with, but one could take it down quickly in a need.

Sadly the owner passed away a few years back. Great guy , liked European rifles and he loved wood and steel that was properly machined.

Merkel singleshots in 7mm Rem and .300 Win are also good ways to get a sturdy kipp rifle , bit light , but it is a proven sturdy design.

Wickliffe 76 Rifle

[FONT=&quot]Single shot break action (SSBA)- rifles have the disadvantage in the US to be (almost) unknown. The same is true for their exceptional good qualities due to hunting in rough and demanding terrain like the Alps, Pyrenees, etc. Hunters from Europe are using them with great success all over the world from the Alps, over Asia while hunting for sheep and goats, Argentina and NZ.
It's also almost unknown that they have fine LR – capacities out to 1k if using an appropriate setup. High performance calibres from 6,5 up to .30, and here of course in the magnum class, 6,5 x 284 – 300WBY. Right gun weight (7lbs), reasonable barrel contours (#3 - #4) and a good muzzle brake (or suppressor) are the most important ingredients. With a little bit of training any good hunter/shooter will be able to achieve good reloading speeds as well. It's not that difficult as it seems. Quite a number of Europeans are even using them under classical driven hunts on boar and deer with very good results. The best "out of the box producers "are Blaser, Merkel and Krieghoff. Sub MOA - guarantee at 100m is a matter of course.[/FONT]

There were many fine kipp`S made by such great firms as H&H in usually .303 British, and regulated for MkVII ammo or similar . One of the Hungarian royal Princes had a Kipp with scope and hammer on. His H&H kipp was with the hammer on the left side instead on the right as ordinary . He shot right shoulder so must have coked it with the left thumb. That makes well due for when stalking game and the chance comes very quick, and goes away even quicker than it turned up.

I think i would have liked one with the Jager lock, strong mechnism, Blaser K95 or a Scheiring in 7x65R or 7mm or .300 Win mag . Put a 2.5-10x42 or 50 scope on it . And a laminate stock that can endure weather and wind . And a scrath or 10 .

@.358NM, thank you for the update! :) I didn't even know that the famous British gunmakers produced SSBA - rifles, of course in .303. They are still using SSBA on quite a scale in the Highlands of Scotland for hunting red - deer I've heard, but mostly in 270W or similar. Nothing beats a sleek SSBA - rifle while hunting in the mountains IMO.
One day I'll buy me one and most likely a Merkel K4 Karpathen (Carpathians) with the very stable "Jaeger - action" you already mentioned or a Krieghoff Hubertus. Calibre choices then 30R Blaser (ca. 300 WM performance), 8x75RS or 7RM/7WBY.

H&H made not just that, but also Rook rifles with hammer and hammerless in ..300 caliber, .295, .297-250 caliber. A .303 for Count Erdody of Hungary had a almost fullstocked kipp rifle with external hammer and Aldis scope sight. Aldis scope sights were developed by H&H and it was made with matching numbers to the rifles. Rifle is logged in H&H journal as " long millitary forend stock .

If one chooses a fine kipp for a round t be had today to find ammo for many places around the world, in my mind the .7x57 R is difficult to beat .

I see what you mean, but in terms of flat trajectory, high velocity and terminal energy I would go 7x65R when choosing a 7mm rimmed. The 7x65R reaches almost the performance of both 280AI and 7x64 and is not far away from the 7RM either. Rimmed cartridges are preferable for practical reasons in that kind of rifle, but then it should be .30R Blaser IMO. Gives you more opportunities loading high BC - bullets as Berger/A - Max f. ex. without any problem and will reach the performance of 300WM/WSM quite easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.