Physical Training For Mountain Hunts

Just got home from my morning hill climb training session.

My pack weight is up to 35 pounds now. For my last up/down lap of the day, I remove my pack. Then I feel so light It seems like I can fly up the hill. Nice motivator and sense of progress.

The training clock is ticking loudly now. Andy and I head out to the WY mountains next week for the LRH Group shooting class. This is held at elevations from 7500 to 9000 feet. Horseback and hiking.

Then 2 weeks later I am heading back to WY for a 3 day backpack mule deer hunt scouting trip in a different spot from 9000 to 10000 feet.

The training clock is ticking loudly now.

I'm feeling the same way. Len, it's great to see threads like this. Being in shape makes hunting so much more enjoyable, and even life more enjoyable year round. And being out of shape can turn a hunting trip into a very bad and painful experience.

There is definitely no single right answer to staying in shape... the best workouts are the ones that we enjoy the most and do on a regular basis. I do think that as we get closer to hunting season, we all should be doing some hikes with weight in our backpacks as we all do that when we hunt and pack meat.

Just last night I went to the Full Draw Film Tour that was showing here near Denver... It was a great event with videos of some amazing hunts, and it sure did make me that much more motivated to push harder during my workouts to be in top shape for my archery and rifle hunts.

Hope you all have a safe and successful hunting season!

I'm feeling the same way. Len, it's great to see threads like this. Being in shape makes hunting so much more enjoyable, and even life more enjoyable year round. And being out of shape can turn a hunting trip into a very bad and painful experience.

There is definitely no single right answer to staying in shape... the best workouts are the ones that we enjoy the most and do on a regular basis. I do think that as we get closer to hunting season, we all should be doing some hikes with weight in our backpacks as we all do that when we hunt and pack meat.

Just last night I went to the Full Draw Film Tour that was showing here near Denver... It was a great event with videos of some amazing hunts, and it sure did make me that much more motivated to push harder during my workouts to be in top shape for my archery and rifle hunts.

Hope you all have a safe and successful hunting season!

Agreed! Especially "the best workouts are the ones that we enjoy the most and do on a regular basis".

Gentlemen I have always felt that all sports requires training! Many hunters feel like hunting is one sport you really just don't need to work your butt off at, perhaps not in some places hunting deer. Our woods in the Ozarks don't require one to run 5 miles a day or climb the bleachers up and down at the local high school, however if your ever going to hunt the mountains you best get busy 90 days before your hunt if your under 40 years old.

If your over 40, best give yourself another 30 days added to the above, especially if your a flatlander were the elevation is under 3000ft. I never really trained much for hunting, only to do my sport of boxing and bare knuckle fighting, trust me I put in a lot of roadwork and weight training, plus other things (to many to mention). Then after the age of 45, things started to change for me while in the mountains. It became much harder to climb those benches. My breathing was labored and my legs heavy!

So when I planned a hunt in the mountains, I started a 120 day program with walking up and down the Ozark hills and jogging several miles with a backpack loaded with various weight poundages. Always carried plenty of water too! It worked well for this old retired Poloka. I don't jog anymore with the weights but do walk those steep Ozark hills and try to get at least 3 miles a day under my belt. I am 70 plus years old now, so my hunting in the mountains has slowed down considerably. Diabetes set in at 65 but I ain't givin in no sir. Also don't for get to work out with some light to medium dumbbells, please do look up a good friend of mine Mr. Bill Pearl in Medford, Oregon the best **** trainer in the country.

Hi guys,

We have some reasonable hills here in NZ to get around. I've been chipping away at crossfit type classes for the past 9 - 10 months and have found it has made a massive difference to my hunting, particularly carrying animals out and recovery time. Regular and consistent training is the key I reakon. Cheers:rolleyes:

J

I read something a while back I believe by Mark Twight, the trainer who got the actors for the movie "300" whipped in to shape. He was a professional mountain climber and was discussing cardio vs resistance training. He talked about deciding to cut his weight down by reducing diet and doing tons of cardio. He found out that when he was in the mountains he had no power to move himself or the gear he was carrying.

I've found the same thing when backpacking. It's a full body work out carrying a load and scrambling up and over rocks. Having to man handle a deer and then get a ridiculously heavy pack off the mountain takes a lot more than runners legs. I still say walking a few miles regularly with a weighted pck combined with full body olympic style lifts has worked the best for me. Just moving around a 60 lbs sack of play sand will help tremendously and if you drop it it won't crack your floor or your foot.

Do any of you remember The Trapper Nelson pack board, a wood framed canvas cover pack board, often we put a canvas bag on it .In Canada this was the standard.I have packed many elk and moose quarters on this In the 70's.My grandad and my dad used it too.Canvas shoulder straps to.Then we progressed to the alluminum frame c/w hip belts..it was a Godsend.This was before anyone considered any form of training.That is why only the young and tough pursued game in the backcountry.I was lucky to experience this.take care

The key to training is developing a base level of fitness and keeping it through out the year! When your young, your the King of the Hill and when you mature with age you learn to sharpen your skills and the same goes with your fitness. There have been some excellent post, most important is that we need to train like we hunt.

In sports for the longest time we have trained athletes as weight lifters not Athletes!!!!! As outdoors-men we our Athletes, and the training should mimic the activities that we plan to do. For all of us and more so for us seasoned outdoors-men we need to maintain our core and low back.

Len that was a great pic of the steps, I have done stair training during the winter when outside conditions wouldn't allow anything to be done outside. In ten minutes of time anyone could walk up 5 flights of stairs and down skipping a step on the way up at a good pace and be able to do it 5 times.

Sprint work has been proven to improve your overall fitness level more then "Long Slow Distance Running". Combine sprint work any way you can, but most important is what your body will allow you to do. Add Resistance training and you will be on your way to a great hunting season.lightbulb

Steve Jessup

Guys I hate to keep pushing my product, but this is something that can benefit every hunter. ForceFitnessKits.com

Also check out "train to hunt" i'm sponsoring one of their events this coming weekend and I really like their concept behind physical fitness and hunting.

As others have said, rucking is much different then running. Having spent a ton of time doing both they are completely different animals. I'd almost rather run then ruck around 100 pounds and I hate running!

Hey guys, I sponsored these guy's nationals this year here in Colorado. Owner is very knowledgeable and out going. Great event and similar to some of the stress courses I have done in a military setting. Geared towards archery hunting, but applies all the same. Check them out here, TrainToHunt.com | Tame the Mountains.

I just got back from the mountains of western Wyoming. Two days on horse and foot with Robb Wiley of Non-Typical Outfitters scouting for our October, 2014 LRH GROUP ELK HUNT.

The first morning we saw 25 bulls.

22 of the 25 were 5's and 6's, the rest were 3 or 4 point. Incredible.

Second morning was drizzling and we ONLY saw about 12 in a different area.

But the really, really good news was about my KNEES!

On horse and foot I traveled 17 miles the first day and 10 miles the 2nd day. Of the 27 mile total, about 6 miles was on foot.

The 27 mile total is probably double of what I've been doing over any two days in recent years. And more significantly this larger total was very bearable. I felt my knees could have easily handled another two days at that pace.

Having this much validation of the effectiveness of my training program is so satisfying -- and motivating.

Last edited:
The key to training is developing a base level of fitness and keeping it through out the year! When your young, your the King of the Hill and when you mature with age you learn to sharpen your skills and the same goes with your fitness. There have been some excellent post, most important is that we need to train like we hunt.

In sports for the longest time we have trained athletes as weight lifters not Athletes!!!!! As outdoors-men we our Athletes, and the training should mimic the activities that we plan to do. For all of us and more so for us seasoned outdoors-men we need to maintain our core and low back.

Steve Jessup

Steve, I wanted to slightly counterpoint your great comments. I'm in my forties, with a work-injured back and arthritic joints all over, I find that lifting weights is essential to staying healthy and mobile. Cross-training has long been proven to improve athletic performance, and strong, dense muscle, connective tissue, and bone prevents injury. I do lifts (squats, front squats w/shoulder press, dead lifts) with light weights and concise form. Been using this regimen for some years, and it has helped keep my spine stable and the arthritis from progressing very far. I highly recommend this program, in addition to simply walking combined with fairly regular sprints (if you can do them), and stretching.

Most important is that we do something/anything on a regular basis to promote fitness. People I see with weight problems and mobility issues are those that don't do much, if anything, to work on fitness, and anything is better than nothing.

I went mountain grouse hunting last week, and realized I'm going to have to step up my efforts the next 5 weeks for the coming big game season!

Really loved the thread. I'm looking to go hunting out west in the future , but have been diagnosed with a form of muscular dystrophy. I have lost a lot of strength in my legs. I now have to wear braces on my lower legs( help stop foot drop & helps with balance). Does anyone have some tips to help me to get back in shape. I'm not one to give up easily, hunting is my life.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.