BRD will get you.

The Wolverine

Black Rifle Disease.

You guys need to be warned, getting into this AR thing is addicting. I have only owned a AR15 for a couple years, and I am already building AR wildcats. I have a safe full of bolt guns that have not seen the light of day since I started playing with AR's.

My bolt guns have become a place to store scopes, until I need them for a AR.

Last edited:
I agree that it's a disease, probably kin to cancer. You get it, you don't realize what you have, 'till it's too late, then it starts eating at you a little at a time. You attempt to treat it, and is subsides, for a little while, then it's back, and your bank and your wallet, only live for months or days.

For me it started with wanting a 6.8SPC. I bought a Ruger Mini-14. Best I could do was 2-3 inch group at 100yds. Started looking at bedding/tuning the rifle. Decided even though I hate AR gas system, the money I would spend on the Mini-14 could put together 1-2 ARs, that would be more accurate to begin with. I was right and I was wrong. I was right they were more acurate. They cost me so much money, because I caught the BRD! I lost count, nine builds in 3yrs? More builds planned!

NO S#@T Sherlock ! LOL. I feel the same way. I too have bolt guns that are just a place to hang a scope til I need it for a new upper. Latest buy is a great DPMS AR10 in 260 Rem. A friend has one and both will shoot under 1/2 inch all day at a 100. My 223 A.I. is good for ,I think, 500+ yds. for PD shootin; and the 20 TAC(driver)s I have are proven to 450. Next is a lighter 223 with 8 or 9 twist to shoot heavy bullets. And then it'll be some other choice ! I've got several lowers waiting in the wings ......yeah, I got the disease bad ! No known cure either, is it? Charles

Yep, no kidding. It does sneak up on you. I shot many M16 guns in the Army back in the mid-late 80s., and they were ok. I bought a flattop JP Enterprises on a Colt NM lower back in 2000 and it is the second most accurate gun in my safe. The first is a custom 40x in 6PPC. Skip forward 5 years and I talked myself into a Rock River M4 type gun. I have only shot about 50 rounds through it but it's still fun. Guys at work did a group buy on stripped lowers so now I am looking at building a .300 Blackout. I am 95% committed to building it but I am starting to look at cans.

So which is worse, BRD or NFA disease?

hntbambi, don't know what NFA stands for; but I think I know what you mean about cans ! I've got an order for a 17HMR upper that a can sure would be nice on. You got any positive results on what are good brands ? One more thing; in your search, did you find out wheather a can for say the 223 would work equyally well on a 22 rimfire? Or a 17 HMR ???Charles

View attachment 150New Member that just stepped up from the "lurker" ranks. You guys even mentioned BRD and I couldn't stop myself from posting. It is incessant and tied with a healthy portion of OCD it's worse than cancer. I find myself "coming to" while driving home and there's another upper or something laying on the seat next to me! My left hand is now conspiring against me, if the eyes spy something blackish, it starts moving towards my wallet without my blessing or permission.

Woodnut, NFA usually refers to the National Firearms Act and the governance of Class III weapons, meaning you have to have a BATF approved form 4 before the dealer can let you leave with your new toy!

Now for a really bad mutation of BRD, get a can.....Canned BRD with no hearing protection. It's brilliant and again, can get expensive. My first one was M4 type for my good lady to whack coyotes at the house when I'm away at work. It got a Halo from Gem-tech. She didn't like my old prairie dog special 22-250, something about too noisy, but I really couldn't hear her.

Well that gun (M4) was too heavy with the Halo on it.....amazingly a BM Carbon-15 arrived on the scene at a whopping 3.8 lbs. She's now happy and I got the M4, which led to a 7.62x39 canned upper and a 24" fluted upper which led to DPMS LR-308, which is leading to a 450 BM upper (On sale at Cabelas for $550 complete, I just can't pass a price like that up!)

Now, the 7.62x39 barrel is being swapped for a 300 whisper. The old barrel won't stabilize the EBR 220 sub sonic ammo; so it's got to go. I have to admit the old russian ammo is cheap and great on hogs in tight. Dang it, I've just talked myself into a 300 whisper upper.

This disease is terrible

I also have a Gem-tech Outback II that splits time on my walter P22 and Her 10/22. The rim fire cans are much smaller/lighter because they don't have the volume of gas to trap as the centerfire rounds.

If you go for a centerfire can, that's alot of weight on the end of the barrel. It makes a handy rifle into a right b$#ch to hold on target, especially if you're waiting for something to clear brush for a good shot.

If you're serious about going suppressed, I really like SRT Arms gear. My last one was the integral suppressed camp 45 in the attached pic, I wish it had been my first one! Great gear, this camp 45 sounds like a brad air nailer when you send that 230grn hollowpoint downrange.

Anywho, I'm typing and I can't quit. Too much coffee again, sorry.

Cheers,
Southbreeze
Down south in MS

Attachments

• A few irons.JPG
    A few irons.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 151
  • P4300764.jpg
    P4300764.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 146
  • SD2.JPG
    SD2.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Southbreeze, that's quite a fine collection you have there ! I also love the elevated deer/coyote stand. We should all be so fortunate !
Yeah, this disease has a clone; it's the "can" disease ! I haven't come down with the symtoms; but I just know I got it. It's all my son's fault ! I got one for his 22 pistol , then put it on his 17hmr rifle, and a 22 AR upper. Really cool to hear the "click" on the 22s and then way down range is the big noise of impact! Especially water.
It's such a shame we have to pay a big excise tax to own them. Something about that just doesn't seem correct. Collected from the Treasury. Not BATFE. Go figure. I think someone ought to get a willing lawyer and sue for elimination of the unfair tax. Right?
You live in a great state; but too many things that bite, sting, and or itch for me to leave Va. for.
Oh, and 300 whisper; oh yeah.

Woodnut, thanks for the kind words. It's been a few years worth of collecting getting to this point! I'm working two angles at the moment, an SRT Shadow titanium for the DPMS and now that complete upper in 300 Whisper.

After fiddling with that new Hornady 123grn A-max ammo in 7.62x39, I've decided I like it and not to break that old upper down. It's as much fun for blasting as the SKS/AK but without the need for hearing protection.

As for the Shootin' Deck, that was an afterthought from rebuilding the barn after Katrina. It works great coming off the hayloft. You can see from the picture below what the attraction is for the foxes/cats & yotes; plenty of food on the hilltop buffet! It works out great because we can come up through the barn, unseen and out on to the deck. We were doing some target practice after I missed a big yote the night before (down where the white target is at the creek.)

The last pick is my good lady's little sister and friend after a hard day of rat hunting in the barn, which happens to be the 10/22 from the pic above after removing the 17mach2 conversion and putting the EA Brown company sub-sonic barrel with the Outback II mounted. The Taurus 44 was a joke:D. I wasn't home for this, but it's rumored that a few Margaritas were harmed in the making of this picture!!!

As for the things that bite, itch & etc; you are correct! I've got a boonie hat with a face net sewn on, that is great at keeping the mosquitos out. The real problem is the best predator hunting is when the wind is blowing from the south, unfortunately that also blows the biting gnats up from the coast and they fit right through my face netting! You absolutely cannot ignore those little turds. I'm not even going to get into the fire ants.

Cheers,
Southbreeze

Attachments

• SD3.JPG
    SD3.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 131
  • P1195143 r.JPG
    P1195143 r.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Oh, you guys are having waaaay too much fun ! Can ya tell I'm envious ? But, I gotta remember the biting,iching, stinging thingies. And no, I haven't forgotten about them red bugs either! And something people forget; fire ants climb trees! I was sitting in a tree stand and so were they. Not a good hunt. The Spanish Moss makes fer good hiding places,too.
Back to more important things. Guns ! What's the smallest cal. you have used successfully on yotes? My upper builder in Colo. says he routinely whacks em with the 20 TAC(driver) and 39gr. SBKs. But here in the East they grow em bigger and I will take my 223 A.I. after them.
Yeah, Margaritas have been known to make people do funny things. That's what I hear, anyways. Certainly hasn't happened to me ! Now as for tequila...that's an entirely different story.......

My Good Lady, nicknamed PPM or pistol packing mama (her taurus in the rat killing pic) has double tapped one with the aguila sss 60grns out that 10/22 @ 35 yards. Smallest for me on a yote is 223 with 68grn HP's. About split half time with 55grn Hornady soft points out of my prairie dog 22-250.

We're covered up with red/gray foxes here the last 6 months and the 22-250 is brutal. So for her carbon15 I just got some 36 grn varmint grenades to see how that does on them.

I just got a "Mako Shark" in 204 and some 45grn soft points that I'm itching to try out...soon as I connect with fur I'll post the results!

SB

Attachments

• Raffle gun 1st Kilrl.JPG
    Raffle gun 1st Kilrl.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 135
  • PC300897r.JPG
    PC300897r.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Fatboy and Raffle gun r.JPG
    Fatboy and Raffle gun r.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_7609.JPG
    IMG_7609.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Female coyote.JPG
    Female coyote.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 170
Woodnut, this is my original yote whacka. It ain't an AR but she's devastatingly accurate. FN mauser98 action, Shilen bbl, timney trigger set @ 2 1/4 lbs and lightforce 170 sho nuff spot light!

Cheers,
SB

Attachments

• Trusty Rusty 22 250.JPG
    Trusty Rusty 22 250.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 140
Southbreeze, You ought to look at the ND3 light by Laser Genetics. I finally figured out how you're supposed to use it and man, what a light ! Prices usually are $300; but you can get it for $270.; maybe less. I clamped mine on the gas block's picatinny rail. Yep, right in front of the scope. When you dial the beam open, it will fill the scope, you'll see crosshairs and target. I watched raccoons at 90 yards at 10PM with no moon. Was waiting on a pig that never showed up. This thing really is a great "poor man's night vision". Problem is it comes with a 1 inch mount; the 30mm cost you another $50. That's why it was mounted on the block. Works great though!
BTW, you sure do some serious damage to foxes! If you're whackin em just around yer house; that's a lot of foxes living there. And, are you saying the 10/22 double tapped a yote ? I just saw an ad for the Aquilla 60 super quiets. So are they accurate?

The nd-3 is cool, but with the beam tight enough to see at 150 yards, it'll turn a yote around. Coons, possums, hogs just don't care. I've seen the foxes slow down if I hit them with the beam before they get sight of a duck. Now once they get eyes on a duck, you just about can't get them to leave. I shot 3 times one night when I first got that Halo/EBR Sub-sonic ammo; it also had an m3 aimpoint. Not good trying to put a bright red dot on a red fox, at night!! At 70 yards it just covers them up.

Aguila, I read the reviews about "key holing." When I took the Mach2 conversion off my 10/22, I got the 1 in 9" special twist "SSS" barrel from EA Brown Co. It's twist will stabilize the 60grn aguilas. It drops pretty quick, but it's got a hell of a lot more penetration than the standard CCI 40grn subsonics. It's a weird looking bugger, like a double length lead bullet stuck in a 22 short case.

As for the predators, we live about 1/4mile north of the 6500acre FEDERAL Sandhill Crane NWR. No hunting, hell we can't even ride our horses in there! So, we believe that's were the constant supply of toothed critters comes from.

Here's a couple of cat pix from our place last summer and a pair of coyotes at the creek from the barn cam, the same culvert we're shooting at from the hayloft deck in the other photos. (I put PPM up one of those pan/tilt/zoom sony webcams at the corner of the barn) you know fer remote surveillance!! That female coyote on the patio (dead!) is the light colored yote in the pic below. I lost sight of the black one in white out from the smoke of the first shot that took his girl. Shot from the kitchen door, 138 yards @ 0415 in the morning.

Cheers,
SB

??Did we hijack this thread?? Sorry guys.

Attachments

• bobcat.jpg
    bobcat.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 151
  • dogs1.JPG
    dogs1.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Southbreeze, I think we have ! I'll post one (this one) more reply. I gotta say , I've never seen deer hanging with cats ! I've seen them stomp and snort at them from a safe disdance; but never seen this. WOW !
And thanks for the tip about yotes and the "tight" beam. I haven't gone yet; just the deer and possum and raccoons at 80 yards that could have cared less.
You take care and keep up the AR whackin ! Cheers, Charles

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.