Brass

bgilli2

I have used nosler brass for a while and like it. But it seems nobody else uses it. Am I missing something?

I have a 7mm Mag and a .30-06 and am thinking of switching to winchester brass because that's what the best of the west and greybull and others seem to be using. I got a bag and it was all dented up, weight varied greatly, and just needed a lot of work before I could use it. The nosler comes in the box all the same weight (or close) and looks like it's ready to load and very clean, no dents. Requires very little primer pocket, flash hole, deburring, no dents or bad pieces, etc.

What brand of brass are you guys using for these calibers and why?

If I can not get lapua, norma, or LC, I grab winchester, I bought 50 pieces of win 30-06 brass and they have their 9th reload in them now and its not a tame load, 59.5grns H4350 under 168s.

When I re-barreled my 7RM, I bought 100 new Norma brass I'm still using those 100 brass and about ready to re-barrel again.

BTW: I sorted the Norma brass and had 97 that were all weighed within 2gr of each other. The other 3 were HEAVY (lower internal capacity) and were marked and set aside to use for dummy rounds etc.

I've heard good things about the Nosler brass, but have had such good luck with the Norma brass that it would be tough to switch. On the other hand, I have a .243 Win with a loose neck and it splits Norma brass after 2 hot reloads.

AJ

A second on the Norma brass I prefer it to anything. I have tried the Nosler and found it to be great brass, its just going to take a while to catch on, people have not discovered its worth the price and we all need more experience with it. I would love to know who is making it? As for the Winchester it does require a bit more work and I get 1-2 cases per hundred that the flash hole is off center. However, Winchester is a big improvement over Remington.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.