Brass Trimming problems

One of my Lee pilot/gauges is too large in diameter to fit into a sized case neck without forcing it. Accurate?

For rifle cartridges, I switched to the Wilson. There is a set screw to lock the depth adjustment which prevents a rotating case/holder from "adjusting" it for you. The case holder is even easier to use than the Lee, especially if trimming with power (the Wilson cutter, not the case holder, can be powered). The Lee is not adjustable, and is not as accurate as the Wilson (there is a lot more play in the primer hole than anywhere in the Wilson trimmer). There is no complicated sequence to mounting the case/holder on the Wilson like there is with trimmers that also require a neck pilot. And since there is no snug fitting pilot rubbing inside the case neck, the Wilson cutter is easier to spin.

That said, for pistol cartridges, especially rimless ones, the Lee is easier to use than the Wilson (when/if you even need to trim).

Andy

when you say the Wilson is more accurate, maybe you should count how many tolerance combinations there are with several components coming together as an assembly this trimmer has. to say the Wilson is more accurate is debatable.

You really ought to try a Wilson before you assume the tolerance stackup is worse than (or even similar to) the slop I have seen in my Lee gauges, lock-stud, cutter and let's not forget, the flash hole in the case itself. I have both trimmers; the Wilson wins hands down in the accuracy department.

Press fit into one end of the Lee gauge, you have a pin that rides loosely in whatever kind of flash hole your case happens to have. On the other end, you have a slotted (!) threaded stud that screws into the face of the cutter. Have you ever looked at the runout on a Lee gauge installed on the cutter? I can SEE it wobble on some of mine!

The Wilson's threaded stop block, case holders, and cutter bearing are all machined from ground round stock. All three ride on two thinner, ground round rods laying in parallel V-grooves machined into the base. There are no threaded pieces that involve centering/aligning the case to the cutter, only setting the overall length, and clamping the stop block and cutter bearing into the "ways". The Wilson trimmer is a simple design that is easily manufactured very accurately.

Andy

It is common for rifle cases to get shorter when fired, it's the
sizing that follows that makes the cases lengthen.

When the round is fired, it swells outward and that tends to contract the length a tad. Sizing reduces the case diameter and that forces it to lengthen a tad.

New dies are unlikley to cause much of a change unless the sizer is large enough to make the resized brass a better match to your rifle's chamber.

Wilson trimmer ... not to mention once you have a dumby case fit to the case oal you desire, it makes trimming a pc of cake .. the overall design is just simple, solid, and repeatable. I don't see any reason to go to any other trimmer for my needs.. thank you Wilson.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.