Brass specs and info

diamondmfarms

Looking for information about the specs on brass. re: primers pockets (lg & sm) rifles. Not sure. But, I have found depth range is ( .128 - .132 lg)? And info on the flash hole dia for both lg and sm rifles.

I am working on a Rem 700 30-06. Most of the brass is used and some new has so much difference re: (weight, length, primer pocket, flash hole) Norma, Win, Rem brass so far.

Any ideas about the the depth of the primer below the face of the brass.

Starting to work with 6.284 rounds also if anyone has any info on this round any and all help!

God Speed diamondmfarms

Last edited:
GOOGLE 'saami primer specs'

All I can say about a 6/284 is that you're not gonna be working with buckets of used brass for this one.

Undiscussed by Mr. Calhoon is reliability.
I have finally reached a conclusion that in small primers, CCIs are not reliable at all.
They are just too difficult to set off with anything less than perfect conditions.

I get failures in 223 & 6br with new brass with headspace exceeding .0015", temps drop below 50deg, primers seated with under 4thou crush, or a slightly weaker strike due to bolt under/over-travel.

The fix has been Federal and Winchester primers. Everytime.
I set them at exactly 2thou crush(right where they should be).

Mike, I'm told the CCI's have harder cups, so you might want to look at switching if you are having problems with light striking.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.