new winchester brass under saami specs

buckyne

Just got a bag of .243win brass at the local scheels. Maybe it is just me but this brass is undersized in just about everyway. I don't remember a lot that was consistantly this undersized before. Out of 50 I bet I shaved some brass on maybe 15 with my lee trimmer. Some were as short as 2.030. I know that is only 5 thousands below the trim length but it would be nice if I could start with everything the same length instead of having to fire it a couple times and let it get to full length.

Headspace was also short ranging from 1.620-1.624.

I know that after firing it will be sized to my chamber but it seems like they are cutting corners and the brass being so undersized is not going to last as long as I would have liked due to the extra stretching it is going to go through.

Anyone else notice this on recent brass purchases?

The most recent Winchester brass I bought was just horrendous. If I remember correctly there was 7 cases that wouldn't fit in a shell holder. All of them had oval flash holes. Right out of the fresh case of bags the necks were all dented. No quality control .

Not uncommon at all to see lot to lot variations like this on commerical brass. I have seen variations much larger then this. Even some 338 Lapua brass lots have had significant variations in headspace compared to average.

People get really hung up on headspace specs on brass thinking it will create a dangerous situation, there is a reason that quality handloads will generally shoot much more consistant then any factory ammo, simply put, its because of these same lot to lot variations your seeing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.