Brass on the bolt face

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by evilj, Sep 26, 2012.

1. evilj

evilj Member

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, short time poster. Thanks for the interesting reads and tonne of info.

Recently just got my new savage 10FCP. After putting probably 300 round through it over the last few months, I looked at the bolt face and noticed a nice smearing of brass? Never any chips, just this 'smear'. Can anyone provide any info on what this could be. I've attached some pictures of the face so you can see exactly what I am talking about.

Cheers,
    Evil.

Attached Files:

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Normal, there is an explosion in there you know:D that is held in place by the lugs and bears right on the bolt face. Also every time you rotate your bolt the bolt face turns on the bottom of the case(friction).

Hope it helps

3. evilj

evilj Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

Should this be cleaned? How should it be done if so? Or will it be of any concern to how the rifle shoots?

4. Jerry M

Jerry M Well-Known Member

Only shooters get brass on their bolt..........LOL

5. dbhostler

dbhostler Well-Known Member

If these rounds are reloads, check your brass also. Look for flat/cratered primers and shiny areas on the base just to be sure the rounds are not too hot. Also, when you open the bolt, how much resistance is there? Otherwise, just use a Q-tip to clean and shoot on.
    db

6. northernexposure

northernexposure Well-Known Member

Yep, quite normal. I get it too on my model 11 Savage .243. Only difference, I can see the printing from the case head on it after shooting.

7. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

like said above, copper solvent and a q-tip, toothbrush(not yours of course<G>) and/or a towel will get it in short order. Usually happens in N.D. only when the wind blows from the west and if you have a rough bolt-face.

8. evilj

evilj Member

The rounds are reloads. Brass all looks fine. No signs of pressure, primers etc look fine, no cratering/flattening. Bolt opening feels the same as usual, but some rounds are ready for a full-length sizing and a trim before they are loaded again as they are a bit stiff when chambering.

Loading 45.5gr (46 is max according to the book) AR2208 with 168gr Sierra MatchKings - currently shooting superbly out to 500yds. I don't have anymore distance at my range to reach out any further.

9. dbhostler

dbhostler Well-Known Member

Set the shoulders back a couple thousands, Q-tip the boltface and you're good to go.
    db

10. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

This is quite normal and tends to vary with the smoothness of the finish on the boldface. Wipes off easily with patch with lube or solvent.

11. evilj

evilj Member

Excellent thanks for the tips guys. All of my other rifles have been second hand and probably had a few thousand rounds through them before I got the so never saw this.

Does this have effect on how the gun shoots or is it just aesthetics?

12. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

Mainly aesthetics, but as usual you should get rid of all fouling present when you clean a gun. I wouldn't want a potential rust hazard if there were fouling below the brass that were allowed time with moisture in your gun. my $.02

13. evilj

evilj Member

Definitely. I've cleaned it up and will continue to do in the future as one should.

Just so I know i cant blame it for a shit day at the range.

Thanks for everyones help.