Brass how many times?

lefty15

I shoot a .300 win mag, how many times can I safelt reload the brass?
Is it better to full length resize or just neck size?

When I first started reloading for my .300 WM, I did a full-length resize and only got 3-4 cycles before approaching head separation. I went to a partial resize with my FL resizing die, by raising the die body about 0.040" off the shell holder and have now gotten as many as 15 reloads with no adverse signs.

I think alot of it depends on how much your brass has to stretch on the initial firing. I have a 300 win mag savage that "grows" the brass .030" on the first firing and a 300 wby that "grows" it about .018". After that I do fl sizing and sometimes Lee collet sizing. For me the brass gets in trouble with cracks ahead of the belt on about the 5th or 6th firing. As a matter of fact I chuck the 300 wby brass after 5 firings as I've had a few separtations.
I do have a Stoney point headspace bushing kit and try and keep headspace at about .002" but I also run near max loads often.
I wish I could brag about 10-15 firings like some people seem to get, but....I just can't!
I should probably get the barrels turned tighter into the action on these rifles...it would help me get closer to the lands with most bullets......but I guess I'm to cheap!!

Get some Remington Rum brass and a small percentage will have zero firings because they come new from the factory with split necks. 4% my last batch.

You can control head space with your die setup. After the first fireing the brass fits the chamber!!! Next set the dies to just touch the shoulder or use Redding bushing die to neck size If the brass chambers hard after a while you can just bump the shoulder with the F.L. die about.002"After 4-5 loadings you can anneal the necks for a little longer life.Belted cases have sloppy headspace tolerances and should be headspaced on the shoulder after the first firing.
Old Bear

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.