brass catcher

Discussion in 'AR15/10 Rifles' started by retiredcpo, Mar 25, 2012.

1. retiredcpo

retiredcpo Well-Known Member

Anyone using a brass catcher , Hate chasing brass all over the place
    what type you using and are you happy with it?
    retiredcpo

2. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

3. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

For shooting from a fixed location (bench or firing line) I lay out a sheet of cloth where the brass lands. An old bed sheet works. Put a nail in each corner if it's windy.

4. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Its just a hunting/ bench shooting rifle correct?

5. XMC

XMC Well-Known Member

6. retiredcpo

retiredcpo Well-Known Member

It really does not exist yet I have been considering buying one for awhile
    Now the wife want to get me one for our 25yr Aniv. But im not sure I would shoot it
    Im a bolt guy. Chasing brass really does not apeal to me and spending 1k or so on something I may not shoot Im not sure
    Retiredcpo

7. LouBoyd

The only AR-15 I know of which has a built in brass catcher is an AR-15 lower with an AR-57 upper in 5.7x28 FN. With this setup the modified 30 round magazine in the AR-15 lower serves as the brass catcher and will hold all 50 shots of the FN brass. The brass catcher releases like a normal mag and dumps easily. The mod is easy, just remove the spring and follower and cut the magazine off flush with the top of the lower receiver, a single straight cut. The 5.7x28 isn't an especially "long range" cartridge but it's good for varmints to 200+ yards. This isn't mine but I have a pistol version which works the same way. Without the modified mag in the lower it just drops the brass on the ground.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  8. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Thats cool but it seams like the brass would build up and jam the action from the bottom

9. LouBoyd

The 5.7x28 brass is about the size of 22 Mag brass. The 30 round lower mag will hold 50 cases since it has no spring or follower. A lot of room in there. Just dump the brass catcher each time you change the 50 round FN mag. It won't hold 100. It will jam if you try to shoot the rifle upside down.

Repeating rifle designs which don't drop brass have been around a long time like this in 45 LC.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  10. REDHEAD

REDHEAD Well-Known Member

Bushmaster Varmint does a very good job of dropping them in the same spot , provided you don't move around .

11. kelly mt

kelly mt Member

I've been using a Caldwell brass catcher and really like it. It's never in the way even packing the rifle around. It'll hold 30 rounds easy. Cheep to.

12. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

This man has a brass catcher that is a new design and is out for product testing right now. It is much better than the strap on bags that most people use.

Home Page

You will need to keep an eye on the site, though. He'll put it up when it goes into production, shouldn't be very long.

13. battlestick

battlestick Active Member

If you are on a bench, or prone and not running and gunning....Tie a bandana around your scope base. It will drop all your brass under the mag well.

14. woodnut

woodnut Well-Known Member

You should look at 3BUCC.com catchers. They are worth the price he asks. It has a hard plastic piece you slide onto the Picatinny rail and lock with the screw. The bag has two metal pins that you push into the matching holes in the base. He offers several colors. Works great and I have several. You can buy several "mounts" and one bag to save some green.