Brake Question (Carlock, Fiftydriver,...)

Big Sky

SPONSOR
Is there a muzzle brake out there that when you shoot it from a prone position it doesn't rain dust, sticks, and small rocks down on your head for 5 minutes afterwards?

I just bought one of Carlocks brakes and he designed it to prevent / minimise the "rain of derbis". seems like a good design. havent got it installed yet.

Any brake with a solid bottom will greatly limit ground debris from being blown up in your face. That said, this is dependant on the specific ground debris and of course the intensity of the rifle you are shooting.

By that I mean, if you shoot on well vegetated ground, you will have very little debris with any chambering with a solid bottom brake. If you shoot in fine sand, dirt, water or loose snow, there will be some debris flying around with magnum class chamberings but it will be very tolerable compared to no brake or a radial port brake such as any with holes 360 degrees around the brake circumference.

I use Defensive Edge brakes mainly, Holland QD brakes and for large diameter muzzles I will make my own custom brake design. All have solid bottom designs.

Obviosuly the wider the solid portion on the bottom, the more protection the ground will have from the blast. The ones I have listed are the best. Shawns and my Custom Slab brakes are the best I have every used, very similiar in design but really best for large diameter barrels. The DE and Holland are the best I have used for conventional barrels and still have an attractive look as opposed to the JP brake.

Kirby Allen(50)

SSG

I would put a vote for the brake Nate makes as well. Welcome To My Website
I just put one on for my brother for christmas on a 7RUM. Needless to say he and I were impressed! Works great and looks pretty cool.

That said....Any of the ones mentioned would be great.

I apologige to Bill and agree that his big bore brake design is the most efficent brake I have used for large caliber rounds such as my 50 Allen Tactical.

I was not sure if you wanted me to talk about your design until you got the production issues worked out.

Again, Bill makes a hell of a brake for reducing recoil.

Kirby Allen(50)

just playing with you

Hi Kirby just playing with you. they are the best but only 3 people have one Me, Kirby and Shawn. I am looking at making a few more but I am changing it in its manufacturing process to stop hammering the lathe.

If you want you can post a pic as yours is the largest of the lot as standard ones have 4 baffels abd yours has 5.

Cheers Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts