Bowtech Assassin

winmag

Hey guys,
Haven't owned or even shot a bow for 5 years now, but I've got the itch again:D

Loved my old Bowtech Diamond, & back in the day, I shot a buddies Mathews some, but Hoyt & PSE never seemed to fit my hand well. Seemed like a Glock vs XD, or Chevy vs Ford as they were all nice quality bows.

Anyway, after being completely shut of the stick flinging world for a while, I decided to check out all the new offerings from the major manufacturers.
What I found is the same as before. Bowtech "fit my natural grip, & form" best, followed by Mathews. Hoyt, & PSE felt foreign. Some things never change I guess.

Now please realize I'm not knocking PSE or Hoyt. I know they are well made quality bows as well. They just don't fit me right.

So I checked out my local pro shop, Centwise here in Redmond, (highly reputable) & they are Bowtech dealers which is great for factory support. They're also second to none for customer service on everything I've bought from them before. I was able to shoot some new bows, & even personally owned bows, & I gotta say,
I was really impressed with the Bowtech Assassin. Of course I really fell in love with the 2013' Bowtech Experience. WOW!!!! But the price tag for that bow, & getting set up completely from scratch again isn't feasible This Year.
So after comparing, & shooting these bows, I'm pretty much settled on the Assassin. Plus it's only .3 lbs heavier than my second favorite bow, the Mathews Helium, & 3 fps faster (ibo) & about $300 less expensive!

So what are some experiences with the Assassin?
Good & bad
Tune ability & shoot ability
Forgiving vs speed
Pros & cons etc.

The Bowtech Assassin Really looks like the bow for me for getting back into it.
Would love some real world personal experience to chime in.
Thanks

I just bought mine this fall after used a fred bear bow for the past 8 years. I was blown away by the jump in technology during that time. I haven't shot it a ton yet, but it shoots great. Compared to my older bow, the speed is amazing. I can use the same pin out to 30 yards.
For the money its a tough bow to beat. I know I took my site off the old bow before I sold it and replaced the stock one on the assassin. I will also be looking to replace the rest with a real whisker biscuit during the "off" season. I dont like the one that came with it. Seems a little cheap. It help up for the hunting season, just worried about it long term. The plastic parts had some play in them.

Beyond those couple of changes for a few hundred less than Matthews, it is a fantastic bow leaving more money for other things.

I just bought mine this fall after used a fred bear bow for the past 8 years. I was blown away by the jump in technology during that time. I haven't shot it a ton yet, but it shoots great. Compared to my older bow, the speed is amazing. I can use the same pin out to 30 yards.
For the money its a tough bow to beat. I know I took my site off the old bow before I sold it and replaced the stock one on the assassin. I will also be looking to replace the rest with a real whisker biscuit during the "off" season. I dont like the one that came with it. Seems a little cheap. It help up for the hunting season, just worried about it long term. The plastic parts had some play in them.

Beyond those couple of changes for a few hundred less than Matthews, it is a fantastic bow leaving more money for other things.

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.

I currently have a Allegiance,Guardian and Destroyer. They have been good bows to me and I have taken 6x6 bulls with all. The guardian is a very smooth bow and forgiving,But I love my destroyer.Bows hold there value terrible so if you have access and friends at a pro shop you can get good deals.I think you would be happy with the bowtec.

I currently have a Allegiance,Guardian and Destroyer. They have been good bows to me and I have taken 6x6 bulls with all. The guardian is a very smooth bow and forgiving,But I love my destroyer.Bows hold there value terrible so if you have access and friends at a pro shop you can get good deals.I think you would be happy with the bowtec.

Thanks for the reply bud. Where ya been? And here I thought I was reclusive:D

Been working out of town,no cell either.I drive a back road part way each M &F,that has wolf tracks.But have not caught up with them yet,heard them one night at 1:30.Camped out for the fall at job.

This is the best bow for the money on the market. I have owned mine for over a year now and have never had a problem. it is extremely easy to adjust and tune. I actually am a bit upset that I dont get to tinker on it more often. it just comes out of the case and shoots perfectly everytime. Now this is not a bow that only gets shot once a year for hunting. I shoot at the local archery range every week. Usually over 100 arrows in a session. So I would say my bow has well over 5k arrow threw it. My father was so impressed by it that he went out and purchased one as well. If you have any questions feel free to inbox me. attached is a pic of me with the bow at our local range. Get the bow, you wont be disappointed.

Attachments

• bowtech.jpeg
    bowtech.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 209
Sorry to resurect an old thread, but i thought id say Thanks to the guys who chimed in here to help me out.
Finally picked my new BowTech Assassin up at the local pro shop yesterday.
To my suprise, it chrono'ed 314fps @ 69-1/2#, & 28-1/2" draw with Gold Tip 5575's topped off with 100gr Shuttle T's!!
Talk about a screamer! Love this bow!

Only drawback I have so far is that it drives my arrows so far thru my cube target, that they get stuck in the fence behind it!
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to unscrew a field point buried into a fence WHILE its stuck in a cube target?!? Let alone multiple arrows.... You can't even spin the cube that way. Good thing I have a Leatherman, for surgical procedures on fences. Haha
Arrow retrieval is a pain in the butt! But I'm afraid to shoot the cube without some kind of good backstop, for fear of a complete pass thru, & loss of fletching if it did.
So, off to Lowes to get some rigid foam insulation to act as a buffer between the target & the fence.
Wish me luck, Haha

.....Only drawback I have so far is that it drives my arrows so far thru my cube target, that they get stuck in the fence behind it!
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to unscrew a field point buried into a fence WHILE its stuck in a cube target?!? Let alone multiple arrows.... You can't even spin the cube that way. Good thing I have a Leatherman, for surgical procedures on fences. Haha
Arrow retrieval is a pain in the butt! But I'm afraid to shoot the cube without some kind of good backstop, for fear of a complete pass thru, & loss of fletching if it did.
So, off to Lowes to get some rigid foam insulation to act as a buffer between the target & the fence.
Wish me luck, Haha

Just saw the post. I've a similar problem with my G.T. 5575's passing thru a foam laminated block target.

A solution that works for me was to get a small load of wood chips from the local tree guy and plus a couple bales of straw I have left over from some lawn work. I just piled the chips behind the bales to make the backstop and my block target is in front of that by a few feet. Those arrows that blow thru the block usually are either laying on the ground in front of the straw bale or just in the straw by a few inches - easy to pull out.

The real solution would be to get a tougher target next time. But which one? As for the straw and chips, a year or two from now when they start fallin' apart, I'll just banish them to the compost pile replace them with new.

Shoot often, Shoot true.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.