Bought A brand new 30-378 weatherby what should i do first

I was wondering what should i do first. Should the trigger pull be adjusted or worked. I bought the gun with the highest hopes in mind I cant afford to buy expensive gun for trial and error and want to avoid every error that I can. Please help me guys and girls. thanks steve

Worldrecordbuck
First off welcome aboard, with the new 30-378 the first thing I'd do (after getting a real good recoil pad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) is take it to the range and shoot it, might be just fine right out of the box. Next I'd have the trigger lightened just because I like em light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris

First thing is to clean out anything the factory left in the barrel/chamber/locking lugs, than dry the chamber and lube the locking lugs.
Fire a round and inspect for traces of copper in the barrel, clean (if present) until the copper is gone or fire another round and inspect again until you can fire 10 rounds without seeing copper traces (my version of break-in relies on visual inspection not a set procedure, others use different methiods).
Early in the break-in you will be getting your scope zeroed and later shooting some groups.
Depending on how the group testing goes, will determine what areas you need to look at first.

kind of a catchy title,do you have a world record? i'm with the other guy,shoot it a little and go from there.recoil pad,muzzle brake,bedding,trigger job,cryogize,stock, barrel,you know,just the basics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Trade it for a Rem 700 in 300 RUM and spend the left over 800 bucks on a good scope,trigger, and reloading Supplies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I bought it to be the gun that stops it all Im a trophy hunter and I wanted ultimate knock down power as well as flat shooter my friend owns a gun shop he is a wealthy person and hasthe choice to shoot any gun he would ever want but what does he bring to every hunt? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but his weatherby 30-378 he has had no animal go more than 20 feet from where he shot it that amazes me and my thought process is I dont want to lose another b/c buck. I know people would say its over kill for a whitetail. I will nod my head and say thanks for the opinon but I would respond I love antler stew.

Ditto, what they said. Shoot it and take it from there.

I also agree with that other guys style of break-in.

Just one thing to note about accuracy. When the rifle is broken in accuaracy will be at its best and it will clean real easy. So....I wouldn't get too worried about the accuracy until she's broken in. Also, you'll need to figure what bullets she likes best. So get the break in and load development out of the way and then see what you got.

As far as overkill goes. NO SUCH THING! Who eats deer ribs anyway? I use a 7stw and 338 lapua. I don't want to track the thing after I shoot it, I want to field dress it and high five my buddies as soon as possible then get to the cold ones. Plus, if I shoot at distance tracking may be an even bigger bitch.
I will say that the bullet and bullet placement will have a lot to with how far the deer goes regardless of calbier. I first used barnes xlc's and they shot like crap in my STW, but the animals never took a step. I switched to the 156 cauterucio and they may not kill like the barnes but they shoot 1/2" and I like that a whole lot better. Cauterucios do kill really really well! I've just never seen anything kill like the barnes. I've likewise never had bullets with accuracy that sucked like barnes.

You might want to try the 200 grain accubonds. They would give you a great "one-load" rifle if she likes them. Great BC and great game performance. You could probably kill any north american big game with that load. Even the mighty grizz. I like one-load per rifle myself and since you want this to be your "stop everything" rifle that 200 accubond would be where I'd start. Don't get too caught up with velocity. The faster you go the less accurate. Thats why snipers use heavy bullets for caliber.

Before I suggest any other bullets. How far do you plan to shoot?

By the way, your question should have been - what to do second. First, you play with it and show all your friends.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the response guys. The reason I just didnt want to go out and use the rifle I didn't want to be told if you really wanted to cut group size you should have done this first. I dont have the money to be wasting on useless things to do so that is why I appreciate the experts here giving their advice. The only thing Im an expert at is killing big deer. I plan hunting the following states Missouri Texas and Saskatchewan Canada. Where is the cheapest place to by factory ammo if such a place exists. thanks in advance STEVE

Worldrecord, c'mon now!
Cheap ammo? Please!

You just bought a weatherby. Ammo aint cheap for that thing.

noslerammunition.com charges over $100 per box for thier new "custom" ammo.

You might want to try http://www.cpcartridge.com/30378wby.htm

I've never used them, but they seem to offer a large variety of ammo. It's $67.50 for a box of 20 rounds of 200 accubonds. They list velocity a 3300 fps. I'd give them a try for that price. If it works out, you'll save $33 per box. I'd take a shot. (no pun intended)

I don't think weatherby has accubonds in their 30-378 ammo line.

Ammo is the most important part of the investment you just made. Buy crap ammo and you might as well have bought a crap rifle.

You never mentioned how far you plan to shoot this thing?
That would help determine your ammo choice and your scope choice as well.

30-378 and Cheap ammo don't go together. If you want top performance you have to pay for it. If I were you and I didn't reload I'd have superior ammo work up some loads for my rifle and then just buy a bunch from them. If you reload, I'd try a 180gr Barnes Triple shock, 200gr Accubond, Richard's Wildcat Bullets 180 or 200 gr bullet. Good luck and enjoy the new rifle!

I was never a big Weatherby guy myself. Always liked remington because you can always customize them so nicely.
I did that with my 7STW. Only thing left is action and trigger. I do wish I upgraded to a Jewell trigger when my smith had it. I have one on my lapua...amazing.
Shooting anything after shooting a jewell is like sleeping with a fat toothless prostitute after sleeping with Pamela Anderson.

I'm being a little fasicious, but not much.

Never liked those weatherby "pencil" barrels. They also BS about them be Kriegers when they are a just a low end Krieger called the Crieterion or something like that.

I think the weatherby price is obscene.

There is only 1 choice for a factory rifle - SENDERO!

But, Worldrecord, you have it now. Enjoy it.
If that thing shoots the 200 accubond well then you're set.
I personally think Barnes makes bullets like [censored]. Hard to get accurate but they kill. Although I hear better things about the TSX.

i'm willing to bet that going to a 30-378 won't help you kill deer that would have got away in the past.in fact it's probably heading in the wrong direction.i've seen and killed some pretty big whitetails and none of em are alive long after a hole is put in the chest with an appropreate bullet in any caliber.trade that whby in or sell it, kill 40 or 50 chucks this summer with the rifle you already have and the next B & C buck won't get away.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.