What should I do?

kyn99001

Hello,

I am new to this site and just getting into long range shooting. I took second in the Idaho State 1000 yard F-class championships last year and now I have the bug to shoot game at long range. I took second not because of any extraordinary shooting skill but because there were only five other competitors. It is hard to get a good turnout to some of the matches.

Anyways, the rifle I used was a pre-64 model 70 in 30-06 it was just a regular sporter weight rifle with a Nikon Bucmaster 4.5-14 scope on it with the BDC reticle and the side focus parallax. The rifle was made in the 1950's and is completely stock except for free floating the barrel.

I would feel comfortable hitting game animals at really long range with this rifle, but I don't think it would have enough energy to put something down reliably. So I bought a Remington 700 in 300 ultra mag. I am shooting 200 gr. Sierra gamekings out of it at 3100 fps. I have put a Boyd's laminate thumb hole stock on it and am going to put on a Nikon Buckmaster scope with a mil-dot reticle. Right now it has an old Leupold VX-II 3-9.

The problem I am having is recoil. It is a sporter weight rifle and it kicks to much for me to shoot it comfortably, I can concentrate enough to shoot it pretty well but I want to be able to shoot it as well as I am capable. Some of the options I have are:

Put a muzzle break on it
Put a heavy barrel on it
Change it to a 7mm mag

I want be able to shoot the rifle if I had to without ear plugs so I don't like the idea of putting a muzzle break on it. I am thinking changing it to a 7mm would be a good idea and shooting the 168 gr Berger's out of it at 2900 fps. Then it would only recoil as much as my 30-06 and I could keep the weight down by not putting on a heavy barrel.

I would appreciate some of your comments on what I should do. Sorry this post is so long but I wanted to give as much information as possible so I could get the best input from all of you.

Thanks
David Kynoch

Hello. and welcome. I didnot know that they had F-class in Idaho. Why don't you go down in the competition section and write up a thread on F-class in Idaho. You might get some people to come.

Here are some things to think over being as you are like a lot of people who don't want to hunt with a brake and I can understand that easily.

Depending on where you are located, drive up to Rathburn and see Shawn Carlock or over to Ft Shaw Montana and see Kirby and have him fit you a brake AND A CAP. Practice with the brake and then when it gets to be hunting season take off the brake and put on the cap. This will require resetting you zero perhaps and perhaps not. Shawn's brakes are slotted and you can talk to him about the indexing issue of taking it on and off and if it will get much out of alignment. He can put on something different if he thinks it is a problem.

Now then, there is nothing wrong with a 7 Rem mag except it is not a 1000 yard elk rifle. Running the Sierra 175 MK or Berger 180s or Nosler Accubonds you can stretch it to about 800 yards but you need bullets that have enough hardness or sectional density to break through the shoulder into the chest cavity.

If it was me I would stay with the rifle "as is" if it is accurate and spend the money on better glass. You might do some simple things like bed it and have the trigger adjusted when the brake is installed.

99001, welcome aboard, i'm sure there's a story with that 99001 number. my view would be the same as Bob's, a muzzle brake is the only way to fly. shoot it a little and like most things, you'll get used to it. the only thing i would do differently is "if" you rebarreled. i go to a 338. to me, when you're talking long range and elk. a 338 is just the best choice. as a side note. i shoot my 338 with 100 gr of powder in a t-shirt, prone on the ground and doesn't bother me at all. i shot it once without the brake. i'll take the brake and muffs every time!

The brake and noise isn't really an issue, if you hunting long range you will have time to put on some muffs.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.