Boots - Kenetrek vs...

I wear Zamberlan guide 960. I upgraded from mid weight boots after a(nother) foot/ankle surgery that required I wear a boot with good ankle support. They are heavy, but they really come into their own when going up and down a/o carrying a pack (at which point a well made boot reduces fatigue). They are expensive, but they keep me in the hunt.

I was a huge backpacker before I was a "mountain" hunter. I'm a Zamberlan mountain boot kind of guy personally. But I feel that they fall right in the same category/quality as all of the other amazing Italian boots.. Zamberlan, Kenetrek, Crispi, Scrapa, Lowa, etc.

With that said.. you're asking for 1 step down from the hardcore boots.. i.e. 'lighter' (lighter as in not humping 70lb of meat out on your back).

For lighter.. I really prefer.. Asolo, Lowa, Vasque, & Salomon... For example, the bestselling hiking boot at REI right now is the Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid

1e489acb-6bb4-4532-9905-50c816e3c36a

For light duty, I love my Crispi crossover pros. I wouldn't want them for carrying a heavy pack over rough country, but for almost everything else, they are fantastic.

I also am a fan of the kenetrek. Wear a size 12 in every one of their boots that I've ever tried. Decided that I wanted to try a pair of lighter boots. Had heard real good things about crispi. Only way I could get them was to order on line. So ordered my normal size 12. They were a little to short so with that said I wouldn't think they are made in the same factory. Kenetrek does make a hiker that resembles the above Salomon. Believe they are called ridge runners or something like that. I have a pair that I've worn for 3 plus years and I mean worn almost every day for those 3 plus years. Only time I didn't wear them was part of hunting season. Colder or wetter weather used taller and stiffer kenetrek boots. Still lots of life left in them. Will admit they aren't water proof any more. Good luck

Doctor diagnosed me with Plantar fasciitis a few years back about 30 days before a 10 day back packing elk hunt. I was nervous because I was in a lot of pain and not sure how I was gonna get all the miles in. I bought a pair of Kenetreks of a recommendation. Not only were they a God send believe it or not they virtually cured my PF. I absolutely love them. And I have what most would call "very bad feet".

I tried Kennetrek MT Extremes for 1 day and returned them. It felt like I was on stilts and my ankles were constantly twisting on steep, rocky hillsides. Their heels and thick soles aren't meant for the sheep hills! It would also be next to impossible to stalk quietly with such thick soles.

I have a foot neuroma and have found that gutting the insoles that come with boots and replacing them with padded insoles helps. I also wear socks with additional padding in the bottoms. I usually buy boots 1 size larger so I can add thicker insoles and socks. When it's hot I merely tighten the laces and am good to go for thinner socks.

Crispis seem to have a strong following. I've used an abused several pairs of Lowas that have worked great for my particular feet. Lowas usually have narrow to wide widths which often help.

What did you not like about the whites? I have a pair of nicks which is a another knock off of whites. They take way more then a week to break in the break in is brutal but once mine were broke in they are great. They are heavy though mine are steel toe work boots. I wear them pretty much every day. With my job I was replacing regular work boots like keens dr martins ariat every year to 6 months. I ha e had these for two years now holding up great no need for a new boot anytime soon will have to resole them though. I love these. I have been thinking about Kennetreks or Crispis for hunting though.

Nick is not a knock off. Before he started nicks boots he was the head boot maker for Whites. I wore his boots when he was at whites and I have worn his boots after he started his own company. I don't work in an industry that needs his type of boots any more, but if I did his would be the only work boots I would wear. My hiking and hunting boots are Hanwags, fit great and wear great.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.