Boots for caribou hunting across muskeg

cactusjack

I will be DIY Caribou hunting near the brooks range in August/September. Tried it a couple years ago, and didn't have a great experience using classic leather/Gore-Tex mountain boots. Especially once they started freezing solid over night🥶. Any recommendations on better footwear?

I will be DIY Caribou hunting near the brooks range in August/September. Tried it a couple years ago, and didn't have a great experience using classic leather/Gore-Tex mountain boots. Especially once they started freezing solid over night🥶. Any recommendations on better footwear?
Need more info on the area you are hunting. If in any area with BOGS use MUCK Boots. Rubber bottoms Neuropryme tops up to your knees.

Need more info on the area you are hunting. If in any area with BOGS use MUCK Boots. Rubber bottoms Neuropryme tops up to your knees.
I am not exactly sure yet. Ram aviation drops us off. Last time it was along the Kukpuk river. Mix of low rocky ridges and big stretches of muskeg without open water. Once everything froze solid traveling the creek bottoms was the way to go.

Spent plenty of time slogging around in the Brooks range tundra and we always just wore the Danner Fort Lewis boots. They are leather, but no way would I wear hot muck boots. Seems like you would have sweaty feet. I think the way the tundra tussocks are spaced, you would need more ankle support than a muck type boot.

Spent plenty of time slogging around in the Brooks range tundra and we always just wore the Danner Fort Lewis boots. They are leather, but no way would I wear hot muck boots. Seems like you would have sweaty feet. I think the way the tundra tussocks are spaced, you would need more ankle support than a muck type boot.
Agreed…ankle support was key.

Were your boots insulated?

I know weight is usually an issue in these hunts, but do you think bringing a second set of boots would help?

I know weight is usually an issue in these hunts, but do you think bringing a second set of boots would help?
So I would suggest this as well. But at the least, please take along additional inserts / soles. Your feet may stay dry but all feet sweat and this, in my urbahn experience, is why feet get cold.You can change out the soles for dry ones, let the wet pair dry and your feet will thank you. Boots last longer if moisture is removed faster as well.