bonded bullets for long range hunting

Foster_65

what do you guys think about using bonded bullets for long range hunting. i have a 7 wsm and am having a hard time getting the bergers to shoot. i was thinking of trying the 160 accubond or 154 interbond. i was also thinking of the 162 hornady btsp interlock but some say they are two fragile. i would ike to have the capability to shoot 1000 but would peobably never shoot game at that range. max rage on game proly 800. please let me know what you guys think or if yo have any other bullets suggestions that would be great.
oh my rifle is a rem 700 s/a with a lilja barrel. 1-9 twist. thanks

I've shot deer to 403yds and coyotes to 575 with the accubonds and had great performance. They open well at lower velocity, even on small critters like coyotes. Nosler recommends them from an unlimited top velocity to 1800fps on the bottom end. You could run a ballistics program and see where your velocity would drop below 1800fps to get an idea of how far they would perform. I haven't used them at extreme ranges.

I turned to the 162 gr Amax after getting very frustrated with the Bergers. After seeing how devastating they are on deer and antelope. I'm shooting them at 3057 fps out of my 7 SAUM with a 28" barrel. My "normal" group is 2.5" at 800 yds.

so what do you think of the 162 btsp and 162 amax for elk size game. and what problems were seen with the bergers. i see alot of reviews that have very positive things to say about them??

IMHO, my experience in Wyoming with the Hornady BTSP has been great for animals up to big mulies. Then I go to the Interbond for big critters like elk. I'm using them in a 30-06, but only out to about 350 yards because that's as far as my old eyes will let me see good and I'm shooting off of a tripod. The BTSPs are great in my 25-06 for antelope (50 grains of IMR 4350 behind 117 grain BTSPs) and in my 30-06 for deer (59.7 grains of IMR 4350 behind 150 grain BTSPs).

so what do you think of the 162 btsp and 162 amax for elk size game. and what problems were seen with the bergers. i see alot of reviews that have very positive things to say about them??

I would go with a heavier bullet that the 162 Amax for elk. They would probably work, but I'd feel better with the 175 SMK. I do like Berger bullets, but my rifle doesn't. I couldn't get a consistent groups no matter what I tried.

so is it unrealistic to think of having one bullet for everything. i live in ND but hunt whitetails in wisconsin every year where shots can be as close as 20 yards. i have read reviews on the btsp not performing well on close high velocity shots. so i really want is a bullet that will stay together on close shots yet open enough on long range shots. will the btsp or the interbond be the better option. or are there any other bullets to fit my need better?

accubond exit at 702 yards
lastday08004.jpg

and 532 yards
100_0279.jpg

and from 307 to 1350 yards they all look like this
RR

I try not to over-think it and just gear up for my primary objective.

If you really think a high value target may appear up close, have your clip loaded with suitable ammo. ...perhaps the same bullet at a lower velocity.

A different style bullet may help keep from getting them mixed up.

Don't forget to change clips when you get to your primary objective.

If accubonds are accurate in your rifle I'd go with them and not look back. If there is anything closer to the "perfect" bullet for all ranges with a similar BC I've not found it. If you want a tougher bullet the scirocco or interbond are designed for 80% plus weight retention while the accubond is made for 60-70% so it throws a little more shrapnel for added shock. I've had great luck with them.

I shot a 6 point whitetail buck up at my place in northern Michigan last November with the same 30-06 shells (150 grain BTSP handloads) that I mentioned earlier that were basically worked up for mulies out in Wyoming. He came trotting through on a hot doe track and I hit him through the ribs at about 15 yards. He took about 4 jumps and died with tremendous internal damage that I thought would only occur at much longer distances. That proved to me right there that the BTSP or SP will do the job at all distances!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.