Bolt Storage Help

Reelamin

I have dug through the pile again yesterday, and my frustration with my simple mind has hit a peak again. Years ago I needed/still need the space and bolts take up way too much space and mark other guns too easily. I have tags attached I label and put them in a Tupperware container. Still a pain in butt to dig out the one I want if I have not shot it in a couple years/months and it's buried in the pile. What is everyone doing with their rifle bolts if they take them out of the rifle when putting them in the safe/storage?

I have a perfect solution--- all my rifles come with the perfect storage solution--- there is a nice place to store the bolt right inside the action--- I've never lost , misplaced, or mixed one up yet ;-)

i leave them in the rifle and store them. pulled the trigger before i put them in the safe. (after checking the chamber of course). do this on my bolt guns and AR's.

I apologize as I was not more clear on what I was looking for. I have a hard time typing what I intend when I can't verbalize it. I hope this will help clarify what I info I was really looking for. 😊😊

I am hoping for information what others are doing only if they are ACTUALLY REMOVING THE BOLTS from their long guns when putting them in storage and how are they then organizing the REMOVED BOLTS for fast and easy identification and location to re-install them when needed.

I DO NOT WANT to put long guns in storage with the bolts still installed in the action. The reason is the bolt handle protruding to the side of the gun takes up MY VALUABLE storage space in my storage locations. In addition the protruding bolts when left installed in the long guns tend to cause marks in the wood, plastic, metal, scopes, etc. of other long guns stored next to them if the bolt is left installed. I have doubled my available non damaging storage by removing the bolts. I also reduced long guns from contacting other long guns by 98% with bolts removed.

Sorry, but I was typing while the OP was updating his original post. I may be missing something but when a bolt is closed, it should not take up much more space than the rifle. When it is open, the situation is different.
I store mine with the bolt open, the rifles are in a 'gunsock' (prevents damage to adjacent rifles. My safe, happily is large enough to prevent too much bumping.

Last edited: