Firearm storage alternatives

G

Ok

It's getting crazy gun wise in my home. I know the answer is a safe but it's not in the cards right now space wise etc. I have a stackon small safe that is not very secure but keeps (some) of the firearms in one place. I now have 10 long guns and several pistols. What alternatives do I have?? Security is an issue but not so much because I have several large labs that police the home 24x7 even when we are not at home. My bigest thing now is Rust and cleanliness of the guns.

Any suggestions...

LAb

Stack-on also makes a smaller cabinet that is for storing handguns & stuff. This is assuming that you have enough room for all of the long guns in your current gun locker.
Not the most secure thing, but maybe enough to make any thieves look for something easier to steal.
As for rust & cleanliness, I take out the guns I rarely shoot a couple times per year and give them a good wipe with oil and run an oiled patch down the bore. It's pretty dry here (low humidity), so this works for me.
If you are having an issue with rust you could get a big can of silica gel or one of those rod type dehumidifiers for the locker.

I'm in the same boat as you (all fit in my locker but 1 or 2), and will get a large fire rated safe when the cash flow allows it.

Yup

Thats my situation...My Youngst son has accuired a few long guns as well and we are just running out of space. I guess another stack on but damned if I'm not leaning towardsa full fledged safe.

I hear ya! I would think that 2 full size stack on lockers would = the same (or close to it) amount of space that a safe would take. Sounds like you would fill it soon. That darn money thing gets in the way too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Keep your eyes on the classified ads, you never know when you will get lucky and find what you need.

I don't know how much space you have at the foot of your bed but American Security Products (AMSEC) makes a full blown gunsafe that looks like a hope chest with a padded seat and if I remember right a wooden exterior. It stores long guns horizontally and has a space for pistols. Looks real nice. Do a search for amsec on line and look at the pictures of it. If you are interested let me know. I am a locksmith and I sell amsec safes. I can order it and have it shipped to your front door for a pretty good price I'm sure if you are in the western states. I would be guessing but I think shipping would be a little high East of the 'ssippi.

It's a done deal. Went out today and bought the reg stand up type safe. Set me back a bit but I think all in all well worth it.

Lab

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts