Bolt Lug Lapping Tool Choice

why is lapping even a choice for precision shooters? you are only making 2 critical parts crooked, yeah they mate well now but they are still crooked and not a 90 degree from true center of the action centerline

I quit lapping bolts several years ago. Lapping just makes existing problems worse. I set up bolts in a jig and machine them. This only removes the higher surface. One has to be careful as to not remove the primary extraction. if much clean up is needed then the bolt handle may need to be repositioned including timing.
Nat Lambeth

LOL! x2!

why is lapping even a choice for precision shooters? you are only making 2 critical parts crooked, yeah they mate well now but they are still crooked and not a 90 degree from true center of the action centerline

There are a lot of reasons to lap a recoil surface. Like anything else, it should be done only buy someone that is qualified and understands the effects of doing it correctly.

Lapping is primarily done to smooth out the mating surfaces and increase the total surface area
due to machine/tool marks, not to even out un-even surfaces.

A good Gunsmith knows How and when to lap the lugs to improve the entire system. Lapping is the last thing done after an action has been trued/Blue printed Unless you have a near perfect fitting
and true action. Again, this takes skill and experience to recognize any issues and what is the best
method/procedure of lapping to improve the performance. It is however,possible to do a lap only if conditions are right and the right tools are used to improve the fit and finish.

I read all the time about lapping scope rings. This can ruin a good set of rings If not done by someone that knows what they are doing. This happens all the time but most people don't like to post there screw ups, so you don't hear about them but I see it all the time. And just like lapping anything, it can make or brake the part if not done properly.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.